Saturday, April 07, 2007

Nothing trivial about Jesus

James accuses me of trivialising Christianity. I'm sorry if that's the way it came over; it wasn't the intention.

There is absolutely nothing trivial about Christ. It wasn't trivial for God to become man and then to take the punishment for man - just because he loved us. "This is love, not that we loved him but that he first loved us. " Could there be anything less trivial?

When it comes to religion and the church though, we're on less certain ground. I said in my earlier post that Catholics had been objecting; following more thorough research, it appears to be one Bill Donohue who is primarily responsible for drawing the attention of the world to the chocolate Jesus. (My apologies to innocent Catholics.)

I read a transcript of a television interview he did - Hey, good luck with him.

In another of his posts, James refers to humanists and I'm not sure if he means me. In case it's not clear, I am a reborn, evangelical, charismatic Christian.

Back to the chocolate Jesus, I've spent some time this afternoon reading up about it, and, no matter how I look at it, I can still find nothing offensive or obscene about it.

What I do find offensive is poverty, child abuse, homelessness, greed, hunger, violence, the parading of a tortured man before a crowd baying for his blood.

That's obscene.

xxxx

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liz, a glorious Easter to you and your family.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Are you sure James meant YOU were trivialising Christianity? - that's not how I read it; rather that whoever had the idea of the chocolate Jesus was. Anyway, I agree with your last paragraph here.

stillers said...

I'll drink to that. Regarding the chocolate Jesus...I think I find a solid gold Jesus much harder to swallow....

Mutterings and Meanderings said...

I agree with welshcakes on your last para.

Mauigirl said...

Well said, Liz. Your belief reflects what Jesus would be saying if He were here today.

Anna said...

Yes, I think James was saying that the chocolate Jesus trivialises Christianity, too.

Puss-in-Boots said...

Have a wonderful Easter, Liz. I hope the sun shines on you and yours.

Liz Hinds said...

Welshcakes and Anna, the first time I read James's comment I wasn't sure, but I decided to take it that he wasn't talking about me. Then I read the post on his blog and changed my mind!
I'm still not sure but I wanted to make some things clear!

Stillers, M&M, Mauigirl, thank you (although Sean should be ashamed of that pun!) (even if I agree with the sentiment!)

A happy family Easter to you all.