Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Think of me tomorrow

At 10.50 am. I'll be having my blood samples taken. Three HUGE bottles full.

Why did I volunteer for this survey? I'll have to ask the nurse if I can lie down before she starts. Have I mentioned that I'm not very good with blood?

I've been banned from giving blood because I kept fainting. Last time, one minute I was chatting merrily to the vampire about old sinks in the Scottish Isles, and next minute it was, 'Oh, dear, oh....' whoomph. Me gone.

The point is that I wasn't even thinking about the blood oozing slowly out of my arm - I'd given about three-quarters or more - and it just crept up on me.

Trying to make me feel less stupid they said, 'Some people's bodies react badly; it's a chemical thing. You're not really a big sissy.'

I fainted in a first aid class once when they were talking about cutting arteries; another time I fainted when visiting a friend in hospital.

So tell me again: why am I doing this survey?

7 comments:

Clare said...

Because it's a great thing you're doing. I hope you get on ok - lie still with your feet up for a while afterwards. And eat chocolate, that helps! xx

Serena said...

Oh, you poor thing. I'm not good with blood, either. The sight of mine or anyone else's makes me go all woozy. I'm sure you'll get through it okay, though. You're a trouper.

MaryB said...

You'll be fine, you tough old bird! ;-) And as clare says, eat chocolate. All will be well.

Anonymous said...

I can recommend Tony Hancock's old B&W video, "The Blood Doner", available from the BBC.

Hancock (and Sid James) were great , but I suppose it's only us old fogies who remember them.

Liz Hinds said...

I was talking to someone last night who said she'd found herself saying, 'That man will drive me to chocolate!' Not such a bad thing really!!

Stu, Hancock's Half Hour is repeated on BBC Radio 7, although I don't know if it's on at the moment. The Navy Lark, Steptoe & Son, and others all get their turn too.

Furtheron said...

It's for the greater good...! (Hot Fuzz joke)

Well done to you though to volunteer to help people you'll never meet and to do something you don't like to achieve that. Very courageous.

Anonymous said...

Left hand down a bit :-)