Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Lashings of custard

I am no longer a little fat badger!

I went to the hairdressers this afternoon and now I'm more like a little fat red squirrel.

Then I stopped in the market on the way back to get kebabs from the butchers and some veg for stir fry, providing us with a healthy and reasonably diety meal. If it hadn't been for the syrup sponge pudding we had for afters.

Well, I had to call into Tesco's and they had these little dinky pairs of puddings for about 69p - so you can see how small they must have been. Hardly more than a mouthful really. And surely not more than a few calories.

It would probably have been fine if I hadn't had 1/2 pint of custard with mine. (Younger Son didn't want custard so I had to eat it all.) But if you're having custard you've got to have lots. I can't stand it in restaurants when they serve custard with a pudding and it comes and there's hardly enough custard to cover a sixpence. It's got to drown the pudding. Mm-mmm.

So, back on the diet now. It's not going awfully well. According to the scales last Saturday, I had put on 4 lbs, for goodness sake. But I don't believe it. I suspect it of waging psychological war against me.

6 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Oh, I agree: never believe a scales, Liz - born liars, the things are. Also agree on custard. Anyway, you couldn't let it go to waste, could you? - That would have been morally wrong.

Anonymous said...

My granny used to pronounce it like a two syllable swear-word :

CUSS-TARD!

Furtheron said...

Last week I was having lunch with a group of colleagues, steam pudding and custard was on the menu. One of our party got the pudding but no custard. The rest of the table agreed that this was a "crime against humanity" placing him in such company as Amin, Hitler et. al. :-)

Anonymous said...

Liz, the first post I see is about food. Well, I must say, I missed dining out with you and Welshcakes. I'll probably put on a few pounds.

Elsie said...

Afters...my British grandma still calls it that. :) I love that you do too. We call it dessert here. Guess it doesn't really matter, a rose by any other name...would taste as sweet.

Liz Hinds said...

No, you're right, welshcakes, I couldn't have let it go to waste (could have not bought it but that's another story!)

I can hear her now, stu, in her Scottish accent.

Absolutely, furtheron, a heinous crime.

Good to see you back, steve. You notice welshcakes and I are both Welsh? And interested in food!

You too, elsie. Yes, a treacle pudding has to be afters. It would have to be a posh pudding to be called dessert!