Thursday, February 08, 2007

You make my world go round

The absolute best bit of circuit training is the optional five-minute relaxation session at the end of the class.

The trouble is that, since Sunday evening, I've had what I assume is a middle ear infection. This means I get dizzy but only when lying down. Which scuppers relaxation for me. I can do everything else: the cycling, treadmill, weights, boxing. It's just the lying down I can't do.

Husband had the same thing a week or so ago. He reckoned it lasted about seven days. It had better be gone by next Monday: I can't miss another opportunity to relax.

I stopped at the shop on the way home as we're nearly out of bread and milk. People must be laying in for a snow-siege: there was no semi-skimmed milk and only two cartons of whole milk. What they did have though, that I haven't seen for ages is - I think it's sterilised - milk in bottles that go narrow at the top and have a metal lid.

When I was little my gran used to have a pint of it delivered at the weekend to make her milk puddings. Mm, I loved my gran's rice pudding (but hated sago or tapioca). One of my great-grans lived with us; the other was on the other side of Swansea. When we visited her she would give me rice pudding too, but made in her fire stove - I don't know what they're called. A fire you cooked on. The pudding would go in the oven next to the fire and cook very slowly becoming yummy and creamy in the process. I still love rice pudding.

But I'm going off the point. When I went back to the car after buying my milk, a man who was getting out of the car next to me grinned at me. A great big familiar grin. I don't think I knew him. Maybe it was something to do with the fact that I was wearing shorts on what is probably the coldest night of the year so far.

No comments: