Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Smile please

The good thing about going to an old uncle's funeral is that you see relatives you haven't seen since the last funeral. Or in this case, party. Cousin Deanne took this photo of me at Uncle John's party last October, just after we'd come back from Zante. As you can see, even then, I was practising the manic smile for the sake of your droopy jowls look. Husband is in the original of this photo but he wouldn't let me post it here as he has a silly look on his face!
The funeral was fine as far as funerals go. And what do you know: Uncle Horace was in 617 Squadron - the Dambusters! And I never knew. Or I would have quizzed him big-time.
That fact cropped up in the vicar's talk. The vicar had never met Uncle Horace and focused on the information that he was a hero, that it was because of him that we are free today.
Which is all very well and true but that wasn't the Horace most of the people there knew. We knew the joker, the steel-worker, the family man, the driving teacher (in my case, and a lot more patient he was than my official one who frequently ended a lesson, mopping his red brow), the car fixer, the friend, the tease, the smiling uncle.

4 comments:

Clare said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Uncle. He sounds like great fun, and brilliant person. It's a lovely photo by the way! xx

Anonymous said...

I live just 50 miles from the Möhne dam which is the one depicted on 617's coat of arms.

And since I'm also a local flying instructor, I got to fly a simulated night bombing run for a TV crew. Let me tell you how difficult that is - low altitude over water at night - even without the ack-ack. Well done, 617 & Barnes Wallis(sp?) of course.

Anonymous said...

This photo is proof that you do NOT need to panic about looking great at your son's wedding!

Gary said...

WOW, I'm smitten.