Monday, February 12, 2007

My 800th post

I should be celebrating! Instead I am in the doldrums.

No, I'm not really; but I should be after the way Wales played in their Six Nations match against Scotland yesterday.

Last week they lost to Ireland but played well. 'When we get our backs back, it'll be all right, ' we said. Well, we had one of our backs back, but the rest of the team were useless.

2005 Wales win the Grand Slam.
2006 Wales do badly but we put it down to a huge injury list.
2007 What's our excuse?

There seemed to be no hunger to win, no spirit, no hwyl. We were lacklustre, as if we were at the end of a hard season not at the beginning of World Cup year.

England were pretty dire too. But at least they won.

And not even my fantasy rugby team is helping. If it hadn't been for Scotsman, Chris Patterson, scoring so many points against Wales, I'd have been in the red. Good job I had him in my team. although being in my team seems to be a signal for players to get injured or substituted. I included - on Alun's advice - Iain Balshaw (injured) and Mike Tindall (substituted); Irish players, Andrew Trimble and Simon Easterby, both substituted, also figured in my team. Although that's a good thing as the Irish lost. (It's a very complicated scoring system.)

I'm now in 23,172nd position in the league.

9 comments:

Lee said...

Don't worry,Liz...the Poms beat us in the one-day cricket! Anyway, we did bet them in the Ashes! ;)

Jon said...

Conversely, team Boss is doing very well in our mini-league, although I do feel ashamed that not a single welshman made it into my squad.

Liz Hinds said...

So you should be ashamed, Jon!

Lee, the match against the old enemy, England, is always THE one to win!

The Periodic Englishman said...

Hello. I'm just at a loss as to what has happened to Wales. It is mighty depressing to see, that's for sure. Although I was delighted that Scotland won (I'm Scottish - don't be fooled by the moniker, it's a cricket thing) I had hoped for rather better from Wales. I actively want them to be doing well - as they were in the very recent past - and this slump, this wretched turnaround, this crashing descent from the heights, just leaves me baffled.

Anyway, bad luck. I saw you at nourishingobscurity.blogspot.com (fine place to hang out) just in case you were wondering. Incidentally, where did you get that magnificent flapping flag that adorns the space for your profile picture? I want one of those. NEED one of those.

And to LEE, at the top of this page, mind how you go. Some of us are still very tender and emotional following Australia's brutal dismantling of England over the winter. And one-day cricket success offers no solace. Try not to mention The Ashes, please. It is still just TOO painful.

Kind regards to you, Liz, and to Lee and Jon as well.

Greetings from Ireland......

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on reaching 800, you're ahead of me :-)
'Staken me over 4 years :-(

Liz Hinds said...

Jamie, thanks for calling in. Hope to see you again.

Stu - ah, but, you only write when you have something to say!

The Periodic Englishman said...

Hang on a minute. I stopped by here earlier and thought "that's nice, a response, someone who greets their visitors". But I have been nagged throughout the day by a feeling that all is not well.

How in the name of all sorts of stuff do you know my name, Liz? Do I know you?

Spooked, I tell you. SPOOKED.

Oh - and you didn't answer the flag question. I'm just saying. I'll click on it now, though, and see if it leads me somewhere.

Kind regards etc.....

PS. Well done on the 800 thing, too.

Liz Hinds said...

Ah, Jamie, I know all things, didn't you know?

I found the flag on the web somewhere and my friend, Shirl, is in the process of telling me what to do with it.

The Periodic Englishman said...

I think you'll find, Omniscient Liz, that my flag looks a little bit better than yours. Newer, fresher - I don't know, just slightly better.

A night of thrashing and wailing - bathed in sweat - and a lustily forlorn look at the drinks cabinet at around 3am this morning, finds me altogether calmer this afternoon.

I have revealed my name twice in the comments section of my own blog. I have also left it as a caliing card at, I think, four other blogs. It seems likely that you saw me somewhere on my travels and have used this information, most unsettlingly, against me.

If I am wrong on this, then here is a very real chance that I'll cry myself to sleep tonight as I agonise over who you might be and what you might have on me.

At the very least, please tell me that I have not bumped into you before and simply forgotten about it. That would bring me sharp pain and shame.

I still say that my flag is better, though.

Nice to have met you (I think).

Kind regards etc....