Monday, January 29, 2007

R.I.P.

It will be written on my tombstone, 'Well, she tried.' And probably graffiti-ed next to it, 'She was very trying.'

There has been a new lady in church for the last few weeks; we have made eye contact and exchanged smiles. This morning I spotted her sitting three rows in front of me. I determined that today I would speak to her properly.

At the end of the meeting, she got up and headed across the room. Undaunted I jumped up, followed her, and put my hand on her shoulder. 'Hello, I'm Liz; I've been meaning to talk to you properly for ages.'

She looked at me blankly.

Did I have the wrong woman?

She politely gave me her name and then said, 'I can't see my little boy; I'm sure he's wandering around.'
'Is that him?' I pointed at a small child.
'No.'

I definitely had the wrong woman.

She made an excuse to go and speak to someone else, and I went in search of a cup of tea.

Ah, well, the intention was good. (Roads to hell etc)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Liz. It's the thought that counts.

Joy Des Jardins said...

Your heart was in the right place Liz....even if it was a little awkward. I hope the tea helped.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Better that you spoke to her than didn't, Liz. It's awkward, I know, but she could have been new and desperately lonely.

Shirley said...

Oh the last time I spoke to someone new I couldn't understand what she said, I thought it was my hearing, turned out she was Polish!
Good for you for trying though!

Puss-in-Boots said...

Hey, you made the effort. She was probably too worried about finding her little boy, but I'm sure from now on she will speak to you.

Serena said...

You tried. That's what counts. Even though she was the wrong lady, perhaps next time she won't be as harried and will take the time to speak longer with you. And I hope you find the other lady again, too.

Lee said...

Hahahahahaha! I'm glad someone else does embarrassing things like that! Who cares, anyway? I know I'm beyond caring and will just go on doing similar! Keep up the good work, Liz!

Anonymous said...

She will speak to you again Liz - unless she really is very rude, shy or lonely. So, I suspect, you'll walk that extra mile over to her again.