Friday, December 29, 2006

Lucky in love

Unlucky in cards.

It was my turn to look into the lavatory in the middle of the night but, embarrassingly, I fear the cause was over-indulgence rather than the tummy bug that has been rampant in our house. Spending the evening eating my way through bowls of chocolates and crisps might have been a contributory factor. But if I'd had a few good hands I wouldn't have folded so early in each round and been forced to relieve my boredom by munching my way through the goodies.

Three times I thought I had a good hand and bidded accordingly - and foolishly as it turned out. I really must make an effort to learn the rules if I am to play again. The one time I did have a winning hand I folded because I thought it wasn't.

We've had three poker evenings now and each time I have been bankrupted. I am either very unlucky or very stupid when it comes to cards.

But Husband and I did win the table football competition! I was in goal for the first game and that was way too stressful so I moved up to the front to attack. This meant I could just lift my legs up and let Husband get on with winning the game.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love our poker nights. We play for change....but, it's like playing for big bucks to me. No one ever goes home losing too much. I've won...I've lost...more than anything, it's just a lot of silly fun had by all. But I do have to admit...it's awfully nice when the cards are kind to you and you get some good hands. Better luck next time Liz.

Liz Hinds said...

I should have explained that we play for chips - not real money - so it's fine to lose $500 without blinking!

The fact that the rules seem to change as we go along and make it up just helps add to the fun!

Elsie said...

I must be the only person left in this world who doesn't know how to play poker!

Liz Hinds said...

No, Elsie, there's me too!!