Monday, December 04, 2006

a dilemma

When I was choosing a book for my mother-in-law I just happened to notice that there is a new novel out by one of my favourite frothy writers, Catherine Alliott. I made a mental note to put it on my Christmas list and carried on shopping.

Next stop was the Cancer shop to get my cards and what do I find there - when I just happen to be browsing the books while waiting to be served - but the very same hardback in perfect condition for £2.99 (as opposed to £12.99 new).

Of course I bought it.

The pros:
it saves money;
it helps the cancer charity;
it saves trees.

The cons:
authors (and I would very like to be one) lose out on royalties;
publishers lose money making them meaner and less likely to take on new authors (like me).

Well, what would you have done?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liz, you got yourself a great bargain. As for the lost royalty, look at it this way: the author was paid for the original purchase, and now, rather than tossing it out, someone else is enjoying the book for the sheer pleasure of it.

Anonymous said...

Buy the book, girl. The pros outweigh the cons, and ditto what serena joy said. (And do you really think publishers will ever be less mean??)

Joy Des Jardins said...

Are you kidding? I would have bought the book too Liz. Who can pass up a bargain like that? Plus...it was for a good cause.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I'd have bought it!

Anonymous said...

Bought it! Plus, have sent an inordinate number of review copies to the Ox--- bookshop this year. Not a popular decision in some quarters but many authors, when asked, have said it gives them as much a thrill to see their books being bought ANYWHERE as receiving royalties. Good on 'em.