Tuesday, October 24, 2006

We've just been for a walk

I went out feeling young and carefree; I returned feeling old and decrepit.

On the way back we met a man with a young spaniel. We talked dogs for a while and I mentioned that Harvey still looked forward to going out but couldn't manage to go far these days.

The man, who looked to be about the same age as me, said, 'The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak - just like us, eh?'

I laughed and said, 'Ye ...' then realised what he had said.

I could barely make it back up the hill without my zimmer frame.

I will have to invest in some Garnier Ultralift as advertised on Chartshow TV. I watch it when I'm in the gym. At home I watch very little television and the little I watch tends to be on BBC so I'm not very au fait with the adverts. And it's a good job with me as susceptible to them as I am.

But it's very convincing. And it says that 9 out of 10 women of those surveyed said they could see a difference. Then it says, in small print, number of women surveyed 124. Now isn't that a strange number? Why not 100 or 500? And 90% of 124 is 111.6 meaning that either someone has got their maths wrong or someone wasn't entirely sure they could see a difference.

But perhaps they did survey 500 women and only 111.6 said it was good. That would make it a very low percentage, so perhaps they deleted the results of 376 women who said they couldn't see the difference to make it sound better. And they deliberately got the sums wrong so it would look genuine. Are you still with me?

Anyway I will probably buy some. I'll tell you if it works on my crevasses. On my forehead that is.

I might buy some Cillit Bang too. The dirt it shifts in the adverts is amazing! I know I tried it before and it didn't work as well as my normal cleaner but perhaps they've improved it.

You see what I mean about susceptible?

1 comment:

Clare said...

I have just joined a gym and am therefore feeling virtuous. I've not yet been, but I'm hoping that the fact I've paid for it will make me go...We shall see. I've also started dancing again, which whilst I'm rubbish is still good fun :)
And remember, you're only as young as you feel. Or something like that.