Wednesday, October 11, 2006

A prisoner in my own bedroom

Dangling from a thread just outside my bedroom door was the biggest spider I'd seen in a long time. It must have been the size of my palm (if it had been completely flattened and its legs stretched a teeny bit). And every time I moved, it moved. Sometimes up, sometimes down.

I couldn't take a chance of it flinging itself on my back if I snook past so I hovered in the doorway, waiting.

Suddenly it dropped 7' to the ground and started running towards to me! Aah, I yelled and jumped up and down to try and deter it. It worked to a certain extent: the spider stopped about 2' from my door.

The same problem existed - I couldn't risk running past in case it threw itself at my foot - but there was the added complication that if I left my bedroom unattended, the spider could crawl in and hide under the bed, or worse, sneak under the duvet!

Leaving the door ajar so I could keep an eye on my little friend, I searched for a rescue aid. Finding it in the form of a hanger, I banged it on the floor near the spider while making loud 'shoo, shoo-ing' noises.

It got the message finally and ran and hid under the suitcase that is still on the landing waiting to go back in the attic. That's fine; I have nothing against spiders. As long as there is a distance between them and me. And they don't try to be over-familiar. I don't want to wake up in the morning, open my eyes and come face to face with one.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Driving to visit a friend this morning I noticed that the Mumbles Road, the main road that follows the curve of Swansea Bay, was covered in brown sludgey debris. My friend said there'd been a terrible storm in the night. Younger Son confirmed this; he could see the lightning through closed eyes, and the thunder was terrible.

I slept through it.

This isn't the first time I've slept through a storm.

During the 'great storm of 87' we lived in Southampton. During the night a tree fell down across the road immediately in front of our house - in front of our bedroom window in fact. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it in the morning.

It takes a lot to wake me.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Haven't managed to finish the Latin translation yet but I haven't had much time today. I will not give up!

7 comments:

Elsie said...

Spiders -- eek! Nice of you to shoo it away, beats my spider squishing method any day (glad it didn't make it between your sheets)!

Anna said...

You ought to read this!

http://www.redhouse.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productSearch_10151_18201_41160_100___10_SimpleSearch_2_1_2__basicSearch_spider

Anna said...

Tch, didn't work. Try again... you'll have to cut and paste.

http://www.redhouse.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/

product_10151_18251_41160_100_17608_17608_category_

Anna said...

http://www.redhouse.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10151_18251_41160_100_17608_17608_

category_

Anna said...

Grr!! Well, the link is supposed to be pointing to 'Arggh, a Spider!' by Lydia Monks. It is all about a spider who is terribly misunderstood and only wants to be a family pet.

Anonymous said...

I slept through the storm of '87!!
My Mum was terrified all night bless her and kept coming to my room to see if I'd woken up yet!

Joy Des Jardins said...

YIKES! I'm with you Liz when it comes to spiders. I don't really wish them any harm...BUT....just stay out of my way and my stuff. EEK, the thought of him climbing into your bed or something...gives me goosebumps. Nice job of shooing him away....and, very kind I might add.