Monday, October 02, 2006

And another thing ...

While relaxing on holiday I read one of the writing magazines I took with me from the pile sitting, unread, on my desk. The number of people writing in the magazine who mentioned all the rejections they'd had really cheered me up!

Does that sound horrid? It's not meant that way. I just realised that I had been getting very down, thinking perhaps I was just useless, and that I should give up, while in reality, everyone (just about) gets rejected many times. Some of them are now published; others aren't. But they all persevere. And, maybe, that's what differentiates writers from wannabees.

So I come back from holiday, re-, um, juvenated, re-determined, refreshed. I even wrote half a short story while I was on holiday!

One day, while waiting for a bus, in what was a resort very focused on British holiday-makers, I was browsing through the magazine rack and I came across a woman's magazine with a Mills & Boon short story competition in it. I made husband give me the euros needed and I bought it and set to.

Now let's see if Blogger will let me upload a photo of the beach - just outside the hotel - on which we lay and I planned said short story ... Yeeeesss!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lovely photo.