Saturday, September 30, 2006

Me weird? Never.

Back from holiday one minute and I find I've been tagged by Shirleen! So before I write about the hols, I thought I'd better respond to the tagging.

The rules are:
List 5 weird things about yourself or your pets.
Tag 5 friends and list them.
Then, those people need to write on their blogs about 5 weird things, and state the rules, and tag 5 more people.

Now the problem I have with this is that there is absolutely nothing weird about me. Not that everyone agrees with me on that.

I asked Younger Son for some weird things about me and he straightaway said, 'Your hair, your children, your personality and your dress sense.' This from a boy with hair like this:

(BLOGGER won't lte me upload photos! I will try again later.)

Anyway, by really wracking my brains, I came up with these slightly unusual - I wouldn't say weird - things about me.

1. Every autumn I collect conkers. For no reason other than I love their shiny sheen and their wonderful, um. chestnutty colour. I had to take Younger Son to the doctor's today for his wound dressing (as Betty is poorly but more of that later) and, while he was in with the nurse, I gathered conkers from the car park. I only had one really funny look and that was when I leapt in front of a car pulling in to stop it running over a conker (no, I didn't really; I wasn't quick enough - she sneakily pulled in where I wasn't expecting her to).

2. I have six toes on my left foot and a bent little finger on my left hand.

3. I can do that Russiany sort of jump - you know the one when you kick both legs out to one side and click them together - on my left side but I fall over if I try to do it on my right. And I do try.

4. I was once in make-up with Olympic rower, Matthew Pinsett.

5. Driving to Cardiff - the capital city of Wales - once, I missed it and ended up in Newport. Not missed the turning, you understand, just missed Cardiff.

Now I will tag Anna, MaryB, Chris, Elsie, and Victoria.

And if Anna says, 'My mother,' I am disinheriting her.


8 comments:

Elsie said...

What's a conker?

Liz Hinds said...

A conker is the nut of the Horse Chestnut tree. If Blogger would have let me, I was going to put up a photo of my collection of conkers - I will do as soon as Blogger plays along!

A game of conkers used to be traditional for the autumn season. With a conker threaded on string, each player tries to wallop and break the other person's conker. There were all sorts of cheats - like soaking the conker in vinegar first to harden it! Not that I would do anything like that; I didn't need to. I couldn't ever hit the other person's conker and always got knocked out first!

Anonymous said...

Woo you're back I missed my daily dose of Liz!
Welcome home and I have to say....conker collecting is weird!

Elsie said...

Thanks for the info. We sometimes see chestnuts around here at Christmastime (in stores, not on trees), but I have no idea what to do with them. Maybe this year we'll try the game!

And I will definitely list the 5 weird things, just as soon as I figure out how to narrow it down to five.

Liz Hinds said...

Those might be sweet chestnuts, which can be roasted and eaten, Elsie. Don't eat conkers! Poisonous!

jomoore said...

Here in the South East, conkers will be few and far between this year. Our horse chestnut trees are dying - a combination of drought, the leaf miner moth and bleeding canker (that's a bark fungus, not swearing - honest!). It's a very sad sight.

Anonymous said...

Hi Liz - hope the holiday was brill. My blog is sad - been too busy with books, will get back to it soon.

The weird thing about me is both my little fingers are bent in at about 22.5 degrees. Runs in the family, gradually dying out but I got it worst of three children. Never noticed yours Liz - I'll look next time I see you.

MaryB said...

I haven't been ignoring this, Liz - I'm having a hard time pinning down just 5 weird things. ;-)