Monday, September 11, 2006

Does this indicate alien activity?


Over the last week we noticed that something was happening to our front lawn. Part of it appeared to be covered in bits of grass or moss.

Like this.

We came up with various reasons for this peculiarity and didn't worry too much about it.

Sunday morning, husband got out the mower and by munchtime the lawn was bit free (that should read lunchtime but is quite an appropriate typing error).

By tea-time this is what the lawn looked like.


Husband thinks it is a squirrel burying his nuts. But that is an awful lot of nuts. And, surely, in the course of an afternoon, we would have spotted a squirrel at some point? Unless it is an invisible squirrel.

Harvey was named after an invisible white rabbit. At least I assume it was a white one but I have no reason for that. But I digress.

I am more inclined to the alien activity theory.

This says that miniature aliens have inhabited that area of our lawn. There is nothing - apart from Doctor Who - that says that aliens have to be huge terrifying monsters, so ours landed some time ago and have been busy creating a new biosphere for themselves. I don't mind in principle: I am just as prepared to share my home with aliens as I am to share it with spiders whose webs I do not have the heart to destroy. However it does make the lawn look awfully messy. It wouldn't be so bad if it were the back garden but this is right next to our front door.

Oh! There's a magpie on the lawn! He is searching for aliens. Either that ... or he is the one responsible for the mess.



9 comments:

Anna said...

Aliens, I'd say, deffo.

Shirley said...

I think worms and birds!

Jon said...

Bloody magpies

Clare said...

what about Borrowers? Collecting the moss to make it into duvets/mattresses for the winter months?
I have to get out more...

Liz Hinds said...

But they're not collecting it! I wouldn't mind if they were, but they leave it all over the place!

chux said...

Budgies! definately budgies - they wait until your not looking the sneeky blighters, then off they go wrecking the garden! And before you know it they are back in the cage looking all innocent!!

Aliens for goodness sakes thats a crazy suggestion. Its budgies I tell ya

MaryB said...

I don't know, but I'd call M. Night Shamalan (sp?) - he's obviously behind it.

Chris said...

No you're all wrong.

It's your local council who send someone along when you're not looking to make your grass untidy so that, when they're short of funds, they can fine you huge amounts for littering. Obvious, innit?

Liz Hinds said...

I don't know. I quite like the budgie idea. Sneaky budgies though.

qidkccw - isn't that what Harry Potter plays?