Thursday, August 10, 2006

Poems and pints

The event at Laugharne was great (if not a trifle long when perched on a 12" stool).

Kelly read some brilliant poetry (as always); Derek was 'inimitable' (does exactly what it says on the tin); and my monologue was well-received (a little light relief in a fairly serious evening).

It was held in Browns Hotel, as frequented by Dylan Thomas in his days of living at the boathouse (and other places), and I doubt if anything, including the decor, has changed since those days, fifty odd years ago.

The place was packed to hear Dylan's daughter, Aeronwy, read some of her own and her father's poetry, and her husband, lead tenor with the London Welsh Chorale, sing for us.


Having to get changed in the back garden - feeling like the trollop from Llareggub - only added to the fun.

9 comments:

Chris said...

Very funny coloured Guiness you have in your part of the world (or is it a new 'lite' variety?)

yzkka, which translates as 'don't like Guiness anyway'

MaryB said...

I want to see a picture of you in the hat. Where is it? Hm?

"dtsktu" - a Croatian head-scarf, I belief.

Liz Hinds said...

That's because it's Spitfire, Chris.

Charity shops are so fashion-conscious these days, they don't sell winter hats in the summer, so I didn't get one I'm afraid, Maryb. A straw hat wouldn't have had the same effect.

Chris said...

Yes, but I do believe that's 'Guiness' written on the glass and I believe absolutely everything I read!!

Anonymous said...

Well done Liz - I bet you were brilliant!

Shirley said...

Glad the evening went well!

I'm only an Englisher and I don't know how to pronounce these strange names! How do you pronounce Aeronwy, and another Myfanwy (sp?). There's another that I cannot remember but will ask you when I do!

Liz Hinds said...

Chris, Guiness is Welsh for Spitfire.

Air-ron-wee

Mi-van-wee

That's how I pronounce them anyway!

Chris said...

Oh....ok....right...now I understand.

btcop: watch out, I think they may be on to us!!

PJ said...

Wales. One of those names on my list of places to visit.