Tuesday, August 08, 2006

A meal to die for

It could be the last meal I ever cook.

On Friday I bought lamb shanks to cook for Sunday lunch for the visitors. Then it turned out that they didn't want a large meal so we had bread and cheese instead (including the scrummy Green Thunder, a Gold award-winning Welsh cheese in the recent World Cheese Championships).

We didn't want a large meal either that evening. Or last night. So we're having the shanks tonight. In spite of the fact that the bag has a use-by date of 6th August on it.

It's been in the fridge and it only smelled a bit funny and cooking will get rid of any germs, I'm sure. Shops just have to cover themselves, don't they, in case some silly people use the meat a long time after or they don't keep it in cool conditions?

Anyway if the meat doesn't get me the blood poisoning probably will. From the cuts on my palm and thumb and finger: a result of unpeeling what turned out to be a screwcap on the wine bottle.

There is a blood donor session in Mumbles tomorrow. As they've banned me from going, I wonder if they would take my blood if I saved the drips from my cut into a milk bottle. It's only me they object to, not my blood.

I was trying to think of something memorable to write in case this turns out to be my last post. But I couldn't think of anything.

Dinner had jolly well better taste nice.

4 comments:

Shirley said...

hmmm the Green Thunder's description sounds better than the name! I think I'd like to try the Purple Passion!

I hope you will live!

Anonymous said...

lamb shanks are very in vogue and Pete often chooses them on a pub menu so you've given me the idea of ordering them from Sainsburys - thanks Liz, if you are still there after the lamb and the gym

MaryB said...

Yes, I'm thinking the lamb is the reason you died later at the gym. In your next life, remember: no old lamb and no gym.

Chris said...

I'm always curious as to why you're supposed to hang game until it's smelly and almost rotten and it doesn't hurt you but other meat HAS to be fresh. Anyway I'm with you. We often don't fancy a big meal when I've taken the trouble to get specific stuff so it stays in the 'fridge. As long as it doesn't smell too much, after a good wash, it gets cooked and eaten. Haven't died yet!