Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Love maybe?

Last Thursday I was helping in the Community Cafe when Chris said, 'Anyone heard what's the latest on Heathrow?'

'Heathrow?' says I, with my finger on the pulse. 'Is something happening at Heathrow?'

Well, yes, something was happening. A bomb attempt was being foiled. The plot was, according to George W. Bush, "a stark reminder that this nation (US) is at war with Islamic fascists who will use any means to destroy those of us who love freedom, to hurt our nation."

Nice words, George. Guaranteed to bring peace to any situation.

Like Charlie Brown I am wishy-washy. I don't have firm ideas on many things. I dither and am undecisive; I ponder and come to no conclusions. But this most recent terrorist incident has shaken me.

I don't see how it's a war that can be won by anyone.

There is something far too fundamental at the root. Why is there such hatred? Distrust? Anger? What have we (christians/the West) done to them (muslims/the Middle East) or they to us to have caused such emotions?

Isn't that what we have to resolve?

I go into prison to help with Sunday services. I see the mostly-young men incarcerated. I hear sad stories. I refuse to believe they're there because they want to be. For some it may seem more like home than their own home but how did it come to that? There is something so basic missing - or lost - from their lives.

The only effective counter to hate is love. Forgiveness, tolerance, unending patience and perseverance.

I see battles that are small on a world scale and don't see how they can be resolved. I don't know - and I doubt - if I could forgive someone who killed my child. I am as weak and helpless, as incapable of putting others first, as anyone.

I don't know what the answer is, but I'm sure it's not war.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is time to stand up and be counted. But that doesn't make it any easier for us, does it?

And when my boys fly to Florida with their father in 2 weeks time, I won't be a happy bunny until they are home again.

If they weren't adults, I could refuse him access for the holiday!