Wednesday, July 26, 2006

A library of treasure

Encouraged by Shirleen's blog, I visited the local library today. It's been so long since I last visited I was afraid my card might be too antediluvian to be used. It turned out that it had expired but was still valid.

Libraries are wonderful places. I stopped going because I was always running up overdue debts but after reading on Shirleen's blog that books can now be renewed (and ordered) via the web (yes, I know you've probably been able to do that for years, but, as I said, it's been a long time) I was tempted to return. And I'm glad I did.

There are just so many books! All waiting to be read - and all for free! Doesn't it just amaze you? This wealth of free love, murder, adultery, in exotic locations and Merthyr Tydfil.

And now they have videos and DVDs too. And talking books and computers. And music CDs. So much!

But I was sensible. My to-read pile is enormous so I just borrowed one book: Why Men Don't Listen and Women Can't Read Maps. Working with Alun I am only too aware that men don't listen and I certainly can't read a map - why they can't paint roads the same colour as on the map I don't know. It wouldn't have to be the whole road; just a coloured strip down each side would help.

But really, who wants to be looking at a map when they could be looking at the countryside?

I tied my visit to the library in with a visit to my great-uncle who is 91 today. He and his wife live in the cottage next door to the house his wife, my great-aunt, was born in. It's also the house I was born in. In fact, members of our family occupied it for best part of the twentieth century.

For the last twenty years it's been lived in by others, but it still retains a great attraction. My uncle thought about buying it when he was returning home; various cousins have considered it; the latest is my cousin's son-in-law, who has never been in the house and certainly has no memories of it, other than what he has been told.

It was a good house. Double-fronted, terraced, in the heart of the village, the walls were three feet thick. We had an outside toilet and bath in the kitchen until I was in my teens. The scene of more family parties than rows, it was home.

And the library, down the road, the same one I visited today, was my second home. A lot has changed since then ... but one of the librarians is still there!

1 comment:

Anna said...

Hurrah! Libraries are great!