Wednesday, June 21, 2006

The longest day

Because of the very hot weather and Harvey's doubtful fitness, we've been restricting his walks for some time. Today, as it was grey and windy, and he was pesky, I took him back on one of our old haunts.

My, how everything has grown! The grass was up to my shoulder in places. I stamped every so often as I walked to frighten away snakes. I don't know if there are any but I didn't want to find out.

It also gave me a chance to catch up with what else is happening round our way. The road behind the road behind our house is very much a keeping-up-with-the-Joneses road. First it was upvc windows, then fancy garage doors; now it's brick driveways. There are as many different styles as there are houses. Only two remain unbricked but it can't be long.

We have upvc windows but lack the rest. I would be thrilled just to have a garage door that would open without being bashed by my bum; I don't ask for much.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Yesterday in work I answered the phone and a man's voice said, 'hello?' Ready to put the phone down thinking it was one of those, 'Are you the person I should speak to about telecommunications in your organisation?' I warily said, 'Yes?'
'Have you heard of Rhys Howells?'
Hooray, a question I could answer. 'Yes!'
'Hallelujah, you're the first person I've found who has.'

It turned out they (I assume he had a wife with him) were over from New Zealand, he had read Rhys Howells, Intercessor, and he wanted to see the places concerned.

As I live next door to one of them it was easy (relatively, given my sense of direction and tendency to wave my arms to indicate left and right) to give him directions. He was very grateful and ended the phone call by saying, 'It's been a blessing speaking to you.'
Aaah, isn't that sweet?

Then Alun came into work and was rude to me proving that for every silver lining, there has to be a cloud.

1 comment:

Anna said...

The British adder comes out in June. From where, I don't know.