Monday, June 26, 2006

It doesn't pay to upset me

Daughter was married three years ago on Valentine's Day. In the weeks before (our organisational skills lack ... organisation) they were trying to decide where to spend their wedding night, and I suggested Norton House, a rather posh local hotel complete with four-poster beds.

Harvey, daughter and I were on our way back from a walk around the cliffs one day and we decided to call into Norton House and make enquiries (Harvey stayed in the car). There was a man on the desk to whom we explained what we wanted; I could tell from the way he was looking at us that the hotel was going to be full for the likes of us. Sure enough, without even making the pretence of checking in the book,he said it was fully booked what with it being Valentine's Night.

A few days later, I phoned Norton House, spoke to a woman, asked if they had a room for Valentine's Night and she said, 'yes, we have several available.'

At the time I was writing a column on our wedding preparations for the local paper. I told this story but, to my disgust, the paper edited out the name of the hotel.

Still I vowed we'd never go there again.

Then last year my uncle, who lives close to NH, invited us for a meal and took us there. There was no sign of the snobbish man and the food was very good. It's also somewhere rather special for a special meal - like an anniversary.

We decided to go there on Saturday.

The first person we saw when we arrived was snobby man. He brought our menus and said the special that night was sea bass on a bed of apple and parsnip. I didn't really need to look at the menu (except for starters and puddings) after that: sea bass is one of my favourite fish.

When he came back for our order I said I'd have the sea bass special; he says, 'ah, yes, that's with apple and fennel.'
'Fennel?' says I.
'Oh, no, apple and parsnip,' says he.
'That's okay then because I don't like fennel.'

It's one of these places that gives you a 'free' appetiser, in this case, tomato with salmon mousse (grainy). Then our starters. Mine was fine, but husband - who has some experience of food - said, 'This is the worst starter I have ever had.'

It was supposed to be crab-stuffed ravioli with a tomato and basil sauce. The pasta was bland and tough; they had forgotten to put the crab in; and the sauce was glutinous.

Main course arrived. Sea bass on a bed of apple and ... you've guessed it, fennel.

After it all, did we complain? No, we crept away like good Britishers. But we will never ever go back there again. (Unless there is a change of ownership and chef.)

There, I have got it off my chest now.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Husband tried to tell me that I didn't need a new computer, it was just the monitor and we had several old ones in the attic. He brought one down, set it up, and, what do you know? Exactly the same problem: terrible picture, stripey screen. 'You need a new computer,' he said. 'Or maybe we could buy a new disc or ...'

I pointed out that neither of the CD drives works properly, and then Younger Son joined in. He reminded me that, for the last eighteen months, we have not switched the computer off as switching it on again is a major problem.

Husband gave in: we have ordered one, on special offer, from Dell. It wasn't until after we had paid that Dell told us it would take up to 10 days to be delivered. Ten days of this screen.

Could drive a woman crazy.

And that reminds me of the comments made by Chris yesterday morning. To the church at large he said something along the lines of, 'To be on the same wavelength as Liz Hinds is not something we should aspire to.'

He could regret saying that.

6 comments:

Anna said...

So you're putting up with the stripes in order to blog? Good thing, too.

Some facts about Gogol Bordello:
1. They consist of Ukranian, Israeli, Russian and American members.

2. Lead singer Eugene Hutz was evacuated after Chernobyl to live with gypsy relatives at a young age.

3. The band was formed in New York.

4. All but two of the band are insane.

Liz Hinds said...

A week to go and we'll be going to see them.

How do they define insane?

Shirley said...

We have a so called 'posh' hotel in Southampton The Devere,a friend of mine was going to pay for her daughter and new husband to spend the night there for their first wedding anniversary, to enable her to write the cheque she phoned the hotel to find out the cost. She was told that "If modom had to ask modom couldn't afford it!"

So two weeks later she phoned again saying she was booking a wedding party and made them state all their prices and at the end of it all she told the events manager what the desk clerk had said and said she couldn't possibly have it there now!

Revenge is a dish best served cold!

jodes da princess said...

me and my hubby spent a good proportion of our student debt on a night in really posh Sopwell house in herts.

despite the fact that I arrived in my wedding dress, the doorman asked us to carry our own bags to our rooms, we had a travelodge decorated room with stunning views of the bins, were treated to warm champagne, slept on 2 single beds pushed together and enjoyed a breakfast of cold eggs (powdered no less) and fatty stringy bacon.

and yet, coward that I am, I wouldnt let hubby complain! still mentally scarred a year (on sunday!) later!

My sister saw gorgol bordello live and said they were amazing.

Liz Hinds said...

Why are we so pathetic when it comes to complaining, I wonder.

What did your sister wear to see Gogol?

jodes da princess said...

not sure, they were backing the strokes. she's quite indie so something indie-ish I expect!