Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The fatal blow

I mentioned yesterday that I had had a slight disagreement with a man at the petrol station; it was all about good manners. Or lack of them.

I was at the head of a queue for a pump and, as it happened, all three pumps on the island became vacant at once. Instead of going to the front (the first one), I stopped at the last one (I had my reasons). The man in the car behind me tooted and scowled at me as he drove past to get to the pump in front.

Now I had had a morning of frustration with my emails so really he chose the wrong day to upset me.

When we were both at the pay desk I challenged him to check his facts before swearing. There followed a brief - and unpleasant on his side - exchange of views, before he finally said, 'Why was it the only pump you could use?'

This is where I delivered the fatal crushing blow. 'Because it's the only one with ...' I wracked my brains - fruitlessly, 'red petrol!'

Fatal to me that is. I slunk out of the shop fairly quietly after that.

Girlies of the world unite!

3 comments:

Anna said...

Stupid man!

I know which petrol beetles like. Four star! Of course, it took a tank full of diesel before I really learned that name by heart.

In case you ever wondered, water does not make a good subsitute for milk in a bowl of cereal (any more than diesel works in four-star petrol engines).

Liz Hinds said...

It doesn't work in porridge either, although that's what the hardy Scots have with salt apparently. Not like us sweet-toothed wusses.

Shirley said...

The scots have red petrol in their porridge?
Gosh no wonder they talk funny!!!

Oh well you won the argument if not the war hun!