Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Black is the new black

How is it possible to have so many different colour black socks?

And what happens to the missing ones?

Why can't manufacturers agree on a standard black sock that they would all make and then when one got lost you wouldn't have to throw the odd one away as you could keep it until another sock lost its partner. I'll tell you why.

Like the man in the white suit. That's why. Because it would significantly reduce the number of pairs of socks that you would buy in a lifetime, thus decreasing their no-doubt-vast profits.

And they know that men aren't like women. Men don't buy new socks just cos they feel like a change. Men have even been known to wear brown socks with black shoes and not care. Unless they're like husband who spots the instant I put a pair of not-quite-matching black socks together.

For goodness sake, it's not as if anyone is going to study what socks you're wearing. Unless they're like brother-in-law. I don't know for certain but I bet he has designer socks.

And why can't sons put socks in the dirty clothes basket? Instead of scattering them through several rooms.

Which reminds me that I'm on television tonight. But only on BBC2W. It's a digital film I made plus a short - and probably embarrassing - interview. I will have to watch it from behind the sofa. Forget what I've just said: I've just looked on the TV listings and can't find any reference to it.

1 comment:

Liz Hinds said...

No, I can believe that about having more than you started with. I often find myself washing clothes and thinking, 'I've never seen this before; who does this belong to?'