Tuesday, February 14, 2006

A valentine for ladies of a certain age


This was my valentine's card last year. I felt it was worth keeping. In fact, I have it stuck up on the wall so, for anyone entering my study, it is the first thing they see.

I was amazed in the bookshop yesterday at the number of people buying valentine's gifts. Expensive ones at that. It used to be, back in the good old days, that people only sent valentines to secret lovers. Now they have valentines 'to my wife/husband/next-door-neighbour's husband. Taken all the fun out of it.

I am totally addicted to Ella Fitzgerald at the moment. The only time I take her CDs out of the player is to put on Madeline Peyroux. Is it an age thing? Or a mood thing? Mood, I think.

1 comment:

MaryB said...

Ain't it the truth, girl? (The goddess thing, I mean.)

Ooh. I know what you mean about Ella Fitzgerald. I have a wonderful CD that I just plain wore out a couple of years ago - all that Cole Porter and Gershwin stuff. Yum! Happy V-Day, sister-goddess!