Thursday, February 09, 2006

The secret's out

The hall smells like a pub the morning after. As only Harvs and me are here and I don't drink, it is a puzzlement unless ... Harvey is a secret drinker!

That would explain the early morning shakes and the empty beer cans on the kitchen floor. Oh, dear, I will have to have a serious chat with him. There are already too many drinkers in this family. Why is it that the children follow their father's example and not mine? Although when children have a father who happily talks about swapping neighbours' gates when drunk and sitting in gutters singing, it must be hard to not think it sounds like fun.


* * * * * * * * * * * *
I have said it before but I will say it again: I do not see (no, not at all well) why it is that I can do exercises to tone up my leg muscles but I can do nothing to improve my eyesight. It is most unfair that I need my glasses to read cooking instructions or how to use my new iron. I even have to make sure they're in my bag when I go to sainsburys in case I need to read a label - and we all should, of course. Why, the other morning, I had to sign for a package and the postman offered to lend me his glasses.

2 comments:

Tim said...

I've often thought Harvey had the alco look about him! I wouldn't put it past a dog, they do love beer. The solution is simple.

Rob's been fired and instead of admitting it he's trying to hide his shame. He leaves london every week, hitches to swansea and secretly sleeps in the hall. The depression of his situation has lead him to the bottle. I bet if you look in the cupboard under the stairs you'll find Rob alseep!

Anonymous said...

Poor Rob...when Mum finds out...

Glasses! Even worse here Liz. I wear distance ones and can't have varifocals for my reading because I have to look at deck to walk, as you know. So, I invariably answer the door to delivery hunks with my reading specs hanging on a thong (not sexy) and find myself searching for the signature place as if it doesn't exist, hoping for the best as I sign away what could be my life.

Happy weekend.