Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Walkies

There was a lone man out on the tip. I am normally wary of men without dogs as the tip doesn't go anywhere (well, only indirectly and muddily) but I figured this one was probably harmless: he was wearing a fluorescent orange jacket.

There are lumberjacks in the wood attacking the rhododendrons that are smothering the natives. From the other side of the valley i could hear the sound of falling trees. Which raises the age-old question: if a tree falls in a forest and there is no-one there, does it make a noise?

I'd always thought the answer was obviously yes but today I wondered. What is the definition of noise? Do soundwaves only become noise when they hit my ear-drums? If there is no listening device do they simply shot off into infinity?

Time for lunch. And other brain-aching thoughts.

I am lying about the time again. Do other people have numbers they don't like? Or is it just me?

No comments: