Thursday, January 12, 2006

No wonder they hung up

The phone rang just as I was engrossed in writing. I stretched a hand out vaguely to pick it up and knocked my glass off the table. It fell on the floor and broke. By now I had the phone in my hand so whoever called would have heard the crash and the resultant 'Oh, bum!'

They hung up.

1471 didn't help as they had withheld their number. Who does that? I don't even know how to.

But don't you hate that? Missing a call and not knowing who it was. Not so long ago we didn't have 1471 but now we do it is more annoying.

My jumper is soaking. Pride, or rather what remains of my sense of shame and stops me wearing a pinny that is absolutely gungy - I have washed it; it just doesn't want to be clean - in front of the roofing men, made me do dishes unprotected. The result was inevitable.

They still haven't called back.

Betty wasn't a happy Beetle last night. She stopped going just as I was pulling into the Linden drive. And then again halfway up. She also sounded as if she needed to clear her throat. I think that is a perfect explanation of how she sounds and I can't understand men who look at me strangely when I say it.

It was probably someone selling something and they recognised bad timing when they heard it.

2 comments:

Anna said...

You should do as I do, and ignore the phone at all times. It is simply a disruption in my busy day of letting the dog out, letting the dog in, letting the dog out, throwing the frisbee at the dog, letting the dog in.

I can start walking her as of next Friday! HuRRAH!

Oh, no, now I have to do that stupid letter thing. I always get them wrong. It is worse than going to the optician (who laughed me out of the room last time when I couldn't read the end line, even with my contacts in).

SEE? I got them wrong! Oh, come on. Second try...
Good grief, you must be joking. Third try...

Anna said...

Maybe I should register as a visually-disabled user? They let them off that stupid letter thing, don't they?

Look what I've done. Now I have to do it again. Ha! It's an easy one...