Sunday, January 01, 2006

A new year

2006 began for us at an over-sixties wife-swapping party. That's what it seemed like anyway. Not on our table of course. We were much too young. If you've seen Phoenix Nights you'll be able to picture the scene. The shiny silver strands hanging from the walls, the slightly-overweight, slightly-too-long-haired lead singer strutting his stuff. But star turn was the grey-haired granny on the piano giving her all to 'Simply the best'.

Anyway, church this morning. Our great and worthy leader was in sombre mood, anticipating the coming year from behind his hands. Yes, it could bring bad things but it's also full of hoe and promise. And garden shovels and pickaxes. And maybe even hope.

Our resident seer shared his weekly picture. Without fail he manages to give commonplace events (insofar as a sheep stuck in a hedge is commonplace) a spiritual slant. Now is it just me? Could we not all do that and say that God had spoken to us? We've all done it surely? Seen something that's reinforced a truth but is that always worthy of being given the title 'Word from the Lord'?


So that's a fairly downbeat and negative way to view our first church gathering of 2006. Hey ho. But we did sing the wonderful hymn the title of which I can't remember. (Have just searched on the net, Before the throne of God) And it has this incredible second verse:

When Satan tempts me to despair
And tells me of the guilt within,
Upward I look and see Him there
Who made an end of all my sin.
Because the sinless Saviour died
My sinful soul is counted free.
For God the just is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me.

3 comments:

Jon said...

Sounds like it was an interesting Sunday. Gutted I missed it.

Tim said...

Did you notice how nobody in the room could sing in tune?! At one point I had to turn round and laugh because the singing was so aweful! A strange meeting this morning but you really didn't miss much Jon.

Liz Hinds said...

No, you didn't miss much. I didn't notice the tuneless singing but then I'm tone-deaf.