Tuesday, January 31, 2006

I should be at drumming now

But I thought after the day I've had it would be safer if I didn't go: I was liable to break a drum.

So it started off fine and dandy. There was a very hard frost and the sun rising over the sea was just beautiful at 8 o'clock in the morning. What's that, Harvey? ... Yes, you're right, I was up and out early. I wanted to make sure I wasn't late for work you see. After being told off last week, I didn't want to risk being late again.

I had to get petrol as I was planning on doing some driving but all my driving was in a westerly direction and the petrol in an easterly. (Because Betty is old she needs LRP and you can only buy that at Sainsburys.) So I was in the petrol station by 8.30.

I got into work at 10.15 - after I'd called out the rescue man who called out his boss because we couldn't get the petrol cap off. The key I thought was the petrol cap key wasn't. Nor were any of the other keys on my key-ring.

I called the man out of the petrol station to try as I am not very good with keys especially when my fingers are freezing but he couldn't do it so I called the rescue, thinking they'd have a magic key that opens any lock.

after 40 minutes the rescue man arrived. He tried all my keys and said, 'they don't fit.'
'No, I know' I said, 'Can you open the lock for me?'
He shook his head, 'No - not without breaking it open.'
If I hadn't have had frostbite in my toes and was afraid that they would break off, I would have kicked him.
He pondered for a bit, then called his boss, who took fifteen minutes to come half a mile. Between them, a set of skeleton keys and the skills of a car thief, they got the cap off for me.

By the time I got to work, my boss had been and gone. Next week I must get there on time!

Had the team for tea with orange juice (I don't like Chianti). My first attempt to make a crumble ended in the bin as it smelled peculiar. Fajitas and crumble - not a good way to start a diet. Never mind, there's always tomorrow.

5 comments:

jodes da princess said...

my husband made me tuna salad for lunch, and the lid came off in my bag, so I had to schlep around birmingham smelling of fish. and I forgot my keys and my rail pass.

all in all a day I should have let the duvet win our daily battle.

Liz Hinds said...

I wonder if it was a bad day for all wannabe writers. We should all have stayed in bed.

Smelling of fish is pretty bad though.

Anonymous said...

I can confirm it was a bad day for all wannabe writers Liz! But I think you win the star prize.
And I've just been told there's going to be a frost tonight so that's made it all better then.

Tim said...

Just so everyone knows, Liz really treated us last night. A delicious spread of loads of food - spoilt!

Thank you Liz

Liz Hinds said...

You see, from tha you'd think that Tim was a nice boy, not someone who delights in making girls cry.