Wednesday, December 07, 2005

It's a sad day...

when you need your glasses to make a cake. You also need dark brown sugar, a fact I knew yesterday as I had it on my shopping list. So it was a shame I didn't buy it.

Fortunately they had it in the shops by school. Fortunately because I could go there without bothering to wash or make myself presentable in any way; if I had had to go to Mumbles it would have been a rugby league game. (Do you like that? A whole different ball game, do you see? Without the cliche. Except no-one will understand it.)

I normally use St. Delia's recipe for Christmas cake but this year I am using Nigel's and it includes lots of interesting fruit like figs and cranberries. I have never chopped figs before; they are very strange. I thought I had read the recipe carefully; it was only after I had chopped the figs that I read the bit about taking out the hard stalk first. Still I don't suppose it matters too much. The cake is basically fruit held together with a bit of glue.

Lots of lovely Christmassy music on Classic FM. And they played my favourite: The Girl with the Flaxen Hair.

Did Carol Thatcher win I'm a celebrity, get me out of here!?

5 comments:

Tim said...

Yes the thatch won. I was a little disappointed coz I thought she was a bit wierd. Is the cake for our staff meal? If it is I'm excited but if not please make on!

Liz Hinds said...

No, it's not for the staff meal and the way it's going you'll probably be glad. After an hour's cooking I just went to turn the heat down to 120 as told and discoverd it was already on 120 instead of 160. Hey ho.

I heard you might not be at the staff lunch?

Anna said...

Did she win? I was rooting for Sheree. That is a shame. Thatch is a tough cookie but doesn't give much away, which made her fairly dull most of the time, except when they made her eat kangaroo willy, which was totally not dull.

Tim said...

They made Sheree eat the kangaroo balls too!

I probably will be partying at the staff meal but it's my last day at uni before christmas and hence deadlines etc. It's really not the best time for a party though, apart from a funeral in the morning, most of us are working with YP that night and so won't be able to drink. If there is one thing thats worth seeing is drunk chruch workers! Lets set a new time?!

MaryB said...

OK - I see I'm missing something by not getting to watch the Brit version of the Celebrity thing (we've only had one over here, I think). Kangaroo willy? Wow!

Liz, my mother's cakes were always disasters in the making - but turned out to be the most delicious! I've learned a healthy distrust of a cake that goes too well, if you know what I mean.

And as for the Sinatra Lord's Prayer in your next post - nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Bet God made him do a few laps in the Lake of Fire for that!