Tuesday, October 18, 2005

The meaning of Christmas

Writers' group last night. We talked about and wrote for the Christmas concert. I mentioned that I would quite like to take Jesus out of Christmas. I love the family time, yes, and the presents, both giving and getting, and the atmosphere. It is a good time. But then someone on the radio says, 'don't forget the reason behind the season,' and I feel guilty.

As Christians, we're supposed to be remembering the reason in our daily lives, so why have a special day?

I'm not sure though whether that is very helpful for a Christmas concert aimed at the once-a-yearers.


I'm also not entirely sure that my idea for a sketch involving two turkeys ending with a bad case of flu is a good one. Well, it's good but is it pc?

5 comments:

Liz Hinds said...

Hi Ben,

Yes, I agree that laughter is the most powerful tool we have whether that's for evangelism or just making friends.

I write a lot because I use it as a daily writing exercise. that's my excuse anyway. Where were you this morning by the way?

As for turkey flu, guess we'd better wait and see how many birds/people have died before we commit to it!!

jodes da princess said...

Liz your blog is wonderful! you should write a book! Did you know that all Christian festivals are going to be banned in Birmingham schools so as to not insult muslims?

I'm sad about this, some of my most fun memories from school are being dressed as a shepard or a goat or an angel (for a nativity play not our school uniform!), never mind the religious aspect, we should be allowed to have fun once a year!

Liz Hinds said...

Thank you, princess Jodes.

The African event I attended on Sunday included a speaker who was very passionate about his subject. He urged all people to maintain their own traditions and languages but also to respect the traditions of the land in which they have made their home. I suppose in Wales that is particularly significant as Wales has had to struggle for its own identity.

But, yes, we should all be allowed to wear t-towels at least once a year.

Tim said...

You could maybe mix in some race issues as well. Maybe the turkeys could be married and the husband has a fling with an african swallow and spreads the flu that way. Maybe the swallow could be seeking asylum to steal robs ideas!
This story sounds awesome!

Liz Hinds said...

I will work on that idea next week when I am holiday, Tim. Or perhaps you would like to write it and come along to our next writers group?