Sunday, February 18, 2018

Just popping to the mosque, dear

It was Visit a Mosque Day today so I did.

There is an old church building immediately opposite Zac's and it's been bought and renovated by the local Muslim community and they've done a fantastic job. The visit included a fascinating tour as well as information stands, and a variety of activities including henna painting and Arabic calligraphy.
mosque open day
We (I arrived at the mosque at the same time as some friends and we did the tour together) also tried on hijabs. I didn't have my camera with me but when Joy uploads her photos I will post a piccie of that too.

And of course there was yummy food. Well, it would have been rude not to try it.

There were also lots of police milling around. They were mostly community police and were very smiley and chatty but I fear there may have been an ulterior motive: a mosque open day offers a potential target for racists. Sad times. Thankfully when I was there everyone - and there were lots of visitors - was happy to be there. Communication between faiths - and with those of no faith - can only be good.




3 comments:

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Familiarity banishes fear, or at least that's the snappy slogan .
And it does seem to work. Meanwhile, just getting to know one's neighbours is always good.

Liz Hinds said...

Indeed it is, Sonata. I like that slogan!

nick said...

Jenny and I also went to our local mosque. We were trying to think of highly intelligent questions to ask, but our minds went blank. Then we bumped into some local Green Party members and discussed welfare benefits for the next ten minutes. Oh well, we were pleased to have shown some solidarity with the local Muslim community.