Saturday, January 20, 2018

So these tree fellers came to the door

So, on Thursday, Husband called me and asked me to get some money on my way home. Nothing unusual there. What is unusual is that Husband paid men to cut down a tree.

Husband has lumberjack leanings. Any tree in the garden that has needed pruning or something more drastic he's done it. He loves swinging from trees with a chainsaw in his hand. Or giving me a bit of rope and saying, 'pull on this.'

Actually we did get men in once to cut down an awkwardly placed tree. They broke our garden furniture and generally made a dreadful mess.

Our garden has lots of trees and bushes so any passing self-proclaimed tree feller tends to come and knock on our door. The usual answer is 'no, thank you, I have a man who does that,' so I was amazed when Husband informed that since I'd left the house two hours earlier men had come to the door and he'd employed them.

'They seemed to know what they were talking about,' he said. They agreed a price to prune the large cherry tree in the front garden, 'But when they got up there they found it was rotten and branches were liable to fall off at any minute so it needed to be severely chopped back.' So a new price was negotiated.

I got home to find a decimated tree and a large pile of branches. 'I'm coming back on Sunday evening to shred those,' one of the tree fellers told me.

Husband has paid them in full.

I'm taking bets on whether we'll ever see them again.

(Photo shows tree - in front of another one - at the top left and huge pile of branches, front right.)

6 comments:

Sharon said...

You can always hope they will come back - but I wouldn't count on it ...

Ole Phat Stu said...

We had a lot of (random) trees felled for free,
courtesy of hurricane Frederika last week :-(

Report in my blog.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anne in Oxfordshire said...

My comment isn't here ..I said I am surprised Mike paid in full do keep us updated ..did they come back?

Liz Hinds said...

No sign yet but it was pouring with rain yesterday evening ...

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

YD had a tree outside her apartment flattened last week ,too. Given the storms we're having this year , it may be a good idea to avoid accidents.