Friday, December 22, 2017

If I write my autobiography ...

I will call it, 'Oops, that wasn't meant to happen.' Because it's a favourite phrase of mine both in my daily life and in my life as a whole. I mean that life tends to happen to me and I go along with it. And I make a lot of mistakes on a regular basis.

I do think at the moment though that I am making life more stressful for myself. For instance, by worrying about whether my favourite bra will be clean for Christmas Day. And whether Santa will still come even though I changed the sheets on my bed today and not on Christmas Eve.

And once again I am regretting my earlier choices: yes, that is on so'n'so's wish list but it's a bit boring so I'll look for something more interesting. Three days before Christmas I find myself resorting to the boring gift because a) I don't have time left to look any more, and b) my idea of interesting is quite probably different from so'n'so's.

Shopping in town yesterday I felt rather like the King in the Milne poem, The King's Breakfast. 'No-one,' he whimpered, 'could call me a fussy man; I only want a little bit of butter for my bread.' I wasn't looking for butter but the thing I was looking for - nothing out of the ordinary I must stress - was only to be found in the wrong sizes or in colours or materials I didn't like. And yes I whimpered as I wandered around. 

Stores should be prepared for people like me. Have a little corner where we can go and have little sob and a nice cup of tea, a pat on the shoulder from a kindly old lady and a nice, 'there, there, dear, it'll be alright.' Which, incidentally isn't what I originally thought of when I wrote that stores should be prepared for people like me: I meant last minute shoppers and have plenty of everything in stock. But then I thought that, actually, a cup of tea and words of reassurance would be more useful.

1 comment:

Jimmy said...

Stores don't seem to stock anything that I am looking for anymore, I don't know if it's a conspiracy against our generation or if the shops are simply stocking items for the younger crowd so to say...not that we are old yet but I know that my tastes in everything is different from what I see on the store shelves, and if there is something I like it is always out of stock ha ha.