Sunday, December 24, 2017

A certain sadness to the season

Driving around Mumbles yesterday, my quest for a parking space led me up all sorts of back streets I'd not been in for years. And as I drove I was overcome by a sadness that I hadn't expected.

I'm not sure why as I'd been in a very jolly Christmassy mood but suddenly it changed although it didn't last long: I was soon distracted by chocolate satsumas.

This last year has been a sad year family wise as Auntie Joan, the matriarch, died very soon after Christmas followed by Uncle John in February. The deaths of two cousins later in the year added to the pot of grief and I think it was for times past that I mourned yesterday. Memories of people, memories of Christmas, memories of days that have long gone. Not that all memories were good but seen through the rosy spectacles of seasonal nostalgia they have a certain charm.

Advent candles
It was good to be in prison this morning for the last Sunday in Advent service. A series of readings and reflections, prayers and carols. A time of tranquillity away from the madness of the season and a reminder to make space for God in these days.

Lastly, one simple memory to share. Christmas present unwrapping was always done very carefully so my mum could save the paper to use again the next year. Likewise Christmas cards were kept to cut up and use as gift tags the following year.  For my mum, who didn't have much money, it was purely economical. Today we may be able to afford fancy paper but can our planet?


2 comments:

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

As we hauled out the box of Christmas decorations yet again, youngest daughter talked about friends who decorate their tree a different colour each year. "I'd miss ours ", she said .

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

I changed my tree Decs once boys grew up and over the years collected different ones that I love . The ones I didn't want went to Charity . And Liz .. I make my mum rip the paper ..oh it annoys her so much .. I said you are not keeping it .. it was so painful to watch .. just rip it !!!