Thursday, September 07, 2017

I haven't told Husband this yet

I had set off for Zac's on Tuesday when I noticed the petrol gauge flashing. I didn't have my purse with me and I was already late so when Mini told me I had enough petrol for 23 miles that was fine. It's only a couple of miles to Zac's

It was less fine when I'd only driven about 50 yards down the road and the range dropped to 18 miles. 'Oh, stop being silly!' I reprimanded Mini.

When I got to Zac's the range was 17 miles. Two hours later when I left and started the car again it said 3 miles. By the end of the road it had gone down to 0. From there it went blank.

'Not to worry,' I thought. 'I have to drive uphill to drop Lily off but when I come down the gauge will go up again.'

It didn't. It stayed blank for the rest of the journey home. I literally got home on a prayer.

Next morning I was taking GrandDaughter2 to the library for singing. 'It will have gone up again now it's had a good night's sleep,' I told myself. It hadn't.

Now the petrol station is only down the road. Except the road is closed for water works so I have a long diversion. In between singing to GrandDaughter2 I muttered more desperate prayers. 

And we got there! I have never been so glad to fill up with petrol.

I will never let that happen again. Until the next time. Don't shout at me: I can't help it if I hate putting in petrol.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Years ago, my former husband insisted the car would go another 20 miles after the light came on. I told him to stop for gas. 'Next station,' he says, 'I have enough to get there.' The car ran out of gas halfway in the 10 mile stretch.

You were so lucky not to be stuck without gas. Fumes only go so far. Haha.

Beside a babbling brook... said...

missed this one too...

nick said...

As soon as my petrol tank drops to the one sixth mark, I fill up. I'm always nervous about running out of petrol in the middle of nowhere. Even if I'm usually in the middle of somewhere and seldom more than a mile from the nearest garage.