Thursday, September 28, 2017

And the doctor said

The doctor showed me my scans. 'That's it,' he said, indicating a large sausage-shaped blob with a little bit of white around the edge. 
'Wow! That's big!'
He pulled out a magic ruler and measured it. 'Seven centimetres. Not that big.'
That's a matter of opinion.

He was of the opinion that removal would be the best option. He didn't actually say so but was edging me to that decision. I think he is just curious. No-one knows what it is and its position in a fallopian tube is unusual in a woman 'of your age'.

Most people agree it is probably benign and I could leave it there and go back every four months to keep an eye on it but I said I'd go for removal.

It doesn't cause me any pain and I'm not worried about it but it is just there - and it shouldn't be. And hanging around in hospitals for an hour or so every four months is boring. (I know I shouldn't complain: lots are worse off than that; but for me it's a nuisance.) And there is the vague possibility, in my head at least, that it could change and get nasty.

So he's booking me in for an operation that will, all being well, be keyhole. It should happen some time in the next six months but as it's not urgent it's likely to be nearer six months than one. And with winter coming and all the emergencies there will be and wards being closed for mrsa/flu/whatever it could be this time next year. I'm not holding my breath.

The only operation I've had before was following a miscarriage, a d and c - is that right? To tidy me up inside I think. I am feeling blase about it now but will be a nervous wreck when the time comes.
operation humour

5 comments:

Ole Phat Stu said...

Go for the keyhole variant, Liz.
My four operations starting last year weren't, so now I could play tictactoe
using the multiple scars across my abdomen :-(
At the swimming baths, some people turn away , either in disgust or they can't bear to look, so I have to deal with that predjudice too :-(

Liz Hinds said...

They will unless they get in and find it's all tangled up or something. Why do people even look at your abdomen? They've no right to be disgusted.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I'd go for the keyhole option , too . Worth it for the peace of mind... and all the spoiling while you're recuperating .

Liz Hinds said...

I live in hope of spoiling, sonata!

PipeTobacco said...

OPS... I find it very sad that some folks have treated you that way.

PipeTobacco