Monday, November 02, 2015

NaNoWriMo by any other name

Oh my, life is so crazily hectic at the moment.

I've just come back from visiting a community hall to see if it was suitable for Uncle's 90th birthday party. I originally intended to hold it at our house but as he's in a wheelchair and we have steps up to our house that didn't seem a good idea. There would have been several strong men around who could have carried him in but he might not have liked that indignity.

So, the hall. I'd provisionally booked Bishopston Hall by email when Husband said, 'I thought you were booking Murton Hall.'
'It's the same thing,' I said.
He frowned, 'Are you sure?'
'Yes. Almost.'

I googled it but that wasn't very helpful. It was still possible that I'd booked the wrong one of three halls.

I hadn't. So all's well but try telling my brain that in the middle of the night.

* * * * * * 
I locked myself in the car last week too.

The little lock thing was up suggesting it was unlocked but it wouldn't open.

Panic! How was I going to get out?

Ah, wait, I have the car keys in my hand; I can unlock it magically. Phew.

* * * * * *
Tuesday and Wednesday last week we popped up to Egham to see Elder Son and family. I was delighted to see that GrandSon1 had found a stick and painted it appropriately.
He's definitely got my genes.

On Wednesday we visited The Lookout, a hands-on discovery centre. Great fun although it's the sort of place you need to go again without children.

The weather was fab and the autumnal colours between Egham and Bracknell were sensational. As were the numerous mansions, which were dotted alongside the road (carefully screened behind high hedges and gates). It is a seriously rich area.

* * * * * * *
I've not done any creative writing other than Facebooking and the very occasional blog post and I've not submitted my novels anywhere since I've come back from holiday - which seems an age ago now. This month, as every November, is NaNoWriMo (write 50,000 words in a month challenge). I'm not going to be so stupid as to attempt it this year but I will try and write on my blog every day. I need to get back into the habit. Admittedly I haven't got off to a very good start as I missed yesterday but hey ...

* * * * * *
Had a bit of a baking frenzy the other weekend making Uncle's birthday and our Christmas cake. With the left-over mixture I was able to make another small/spare cake and fortunately it was on this one that I tipped the remains of a bottle of brandy that I discovered too late had gone off. That didn't stop Husband eating it though.

I asked him if it was okay. He said, 'Disappointing.' Which isn't promising for the other cakes I made so I am dosing them liberally with brandy (fresh) each week between now and December 13th.

* * * * * * *
And as if winning the world cup and being Man of Final wasn't enough, Dan Carter also won World Rugby Player of the Year for the third time.








4 comments:

Furtheron said...

He could have won that accolade simply for that incredible drop goal in the final. How he managed that one I'll never know.... Anyway I'm possibly converting to a League fan after England's impressive win against the Kiwi's in the first of the three test series on Sunday ;-)

nick said...

The autumn leaves are amazingly colourful this autumn. Not quite as spectacular as New England but getting close. Brown, yellow, red, burgundy, silver. Quite a display.

Liz Hinds said...

That drop goal was awesome in the truest sense of the word, Graham!

The leaves do seem to be more spectacular this year, Nick. I thought perhaps it was because I was getting older and finally learning to appreciate these things!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I love the way you're following the hard hat regulation while laying a slate roof ... on the floor .
Or was it a Bob the Builder disguise ?