Tuesday, October 08, 2013

When God doesn't speak

The meeting in Linden last Sunday was different. An opportunity to reflect on phrases aided by music and images. I went into it with an open mind but it didn't really work for me I'm afraid. Especially at the end when one of the leaders stood up and said, 'God is speaking to lots of people this morning.' And I thought, 'But not to me.' (I should do a sad face smiley thing here but I don't like them.)

But when I arrived home I found an email from Glenn in Cambodia. An encouraging and supportive email so I guess God did speak to me, but in his time.

I can already hear all the cynics, 'yeah, well, you could make anything fit that,' and it's true but if you know me you'll know it's not something I'm inclined to do. I'm far more likely to shrug and accept my hard-done-by lot. In fact I'm more the other way inclined: I am wary of people who regularly say that God spoke to them or revealed something to them.

The meeting in Zac's in the afternoon, on the other hand, was great. Andy told us about something that had happened to him recently when he'd made himself available to be used by God and it was an inspiring tale. And we heard about some of the persecution that Christians are undergoing today across the world, tying in with our consideration of 'Blessed are the persecuted'. Makes me jolly glad I'm not in that position. I honestly don't know whether my faith would be enough to let me resist back-peddling and denying Christ.




8 comments:

Katney said...

Sometimes we hear what God tells us when we are ready for it, and you are also right that he speaks in his own time. (and God's time is not always our time.) But he's there and listens when we are ready.

I am babbling.

Yesterday, when I had a teacher missing and was contemplating how we would handle it, Maria came in and reminded me that she was going to come in and help on Mondays, but that she had been working till this week. And I said, you are just in time...

God speaks in some strange ways...

Leslie: said...

Let me assure you that you are more the norm than you would imagine.

Unknown said...

Yeah, Liz, I've found that God speaks in his own good time...but sometimes it's things I don't want to hear! However, in the past, I've found that to ignore what He says causes me grief. So, like a puppy brought to heel, I've learnt to listen and not argue...

Liz Hinds said...

Very true, Katney.

Thanks, leslie.

He is wiser than we are, robyn! Thankfully!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Perhaps , like the parents of a large family , God hears us all but concentrates on the children who need more support at that particular moment .

Liz Hinds said...

Could be, sonata

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Sometimes we want God to speak to us , there and then !! God does not have a time scale , like us .. He will speak to us but we also have to help ourselves as well ,, and then he will speak... but this can be so frustrating for us .. I am looking for a job so hard ,, but to no avail , WHY is what I want to know?? and then with a job , I can travel more , and help my family (grandkids with treats)

Rose said...

I've often wondered myself just how strong I would be in a society or time where Christians were persecuted. Makes you admire those brave souls even more.