Saturday, April 20, 2013

The busy life of an author

Been a busy week. Down to Devon on Wednesday morning for grandchild-minding duties, driving home earlier than usual on Thursday so I could skedaddle off to St. Peter's church in Cockett to speak to the Thursday Group about my book.

It's wonderful when your first attempt at humour goes down well. Sets the tone for the rest of the evening. A large group - about 30 - ladies who were very appreciative and laughed in all the right places. I sold quite a few books at the end too. 
[Husband: how many?
Me: I don't know.
Husband: well, how many did you take?
Me: don't know.
Husband: how much money did you take then?
Me: don't know because I got it mixed up with money already in my purse.
Husband: big sigh.]

Encouraged by my success I've been busy emailing people - WI, Townswomen's Guild, Mothers' Union - to try and get contact details for local groups who might be interested in having me speak to them. 

And Husband spent a long time this morning trying to work out figures and it appears that I'm in the black! I've actually making a profit on my books! Not a lot but it's better than a loss.

(Are you supposed to have ridges in your thumb nail? How peculiar. It looks as if I got my thumb trapped in a door.)

6 comments:

Katney said...

It's a sign of something--the ridges, that is. Some vitamin deficiency or something. Not sure what.

Or maybe the remains of getting trapped in a door. I have a slpit in a nail from having been caught in the car door when I was 13.

Ole Phat Stu said...

Writing encouragement : On the 29th of December, 1836, Charlotte Bronte, twenty years old, posted some of her poems to the Poet Laureate of England Robert Southey, hoping for encouragement. Three months later, the great man replied, putting the "flighty" girl in her place: "Literature cannot be the business of a woman's life, and it ought not to be. The more she is engaged in her proper duties, the less leisure she will have for it, even as an accomplishment and a recreation." Charlotte was not dissuaded from her art. Try googling "Charlotte Bronte" and "Robert Southey" and you will see what relative places the two poets found in history.

Ole Phat Stu again said...

Re nail ridges : What direction do they go? Beau's lines (bad) are the horizontal ones, going across the nail, and should not be confused with vertical ridges (acceptable) going from the bottom (cuticle) of the nail out to the fingertip. These vertical lines are usually a natural consequence of aging and are harmless.

Liz Hinds said...

Sounds about right, katney.

'Twas ever thus, stu!

Both, stu!

Furtheron said...

Congrats on making a profit - that is a big deal since I've never come anywhere near that with my musical endeavours.

Valencia said...

This is cool!