Monday, June 18, 2012

No jokes, please

'How was it?' Husband asked me when I got home after taking yesterday's prison service.
'I've known better,' I said.


I was awake at 6.30 going over the talk in my head: there were two bits I just couldn't make stick. But then I had a good idea: when I begin I'll mention my book launch and make some joke about the chaplain  running a coach trip for the prisoners.


I arrived at prison and the first thing the chaplain said was, 'You haven't got any jokes in your talk, have you? Only we've had a suicide this week.'
'Oh.'


Went downhill from then really. There was a noticeable tension between men from different wings and though they were quiet when I was speaking - on the whole - I struggled. Jez, our songwriting guitarist, did a brilliant song that made the morning but I was glad to get out of there.


Really the book launch tonight can't be any worse. Can it?

6 comments:

Ole Phat Stu said...

Look at the bright side :
He committed suicide BEFORE he heard about your book release ;-)

Gledwood said...

Still in and out of prison like a fiddler's elbow, Liz. Naughty girl!!

Gledwood said...

Why is there tension between the different wings? Was it the paedo wing mixing with normal people?

Leslie: said...

Maybe next time you can mention there was a book launch and perhaps the warden can organize another bus trip for them to the bookstore! Weak, but trying...

Furtheron said...

At least you didn't confuse the two that might have really raised some eyebrows... on the other hand prisons have a lot of time on their hands they might like a good read

Liz Hinds said...

Indeed, stu.

Because of the suicide, gledwood. Some were less respectful.

I got into trouble with the chaplain for taking grass in, leslie!

You've reminded me, furtheron, there was one guy we worked with who always said he wanted to read my book. Maybe I could donate one to the prison library!