Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Lunch in the garden

Our garden is a breeding ground for dragonflies. Everywhere you look there are bonking couplets. You can't even eat lunch without a pair landing on your sandwich.
George interrupts, 'Or my head.'
Or George's head.


Our peach tree was brutally pruned - because of recurring leaf curl - but it's laden with baby fruit. I suppose we should remove some to let the others grow bigger but how do you decide which ones are to die?
Daughter thinks I should order some material from ebay to fling over the table, retro-style, with a few anti-insect candles. Or just hope for rain.

7 comments:

CherryPie said...

You could always add them as protein to the sandwich ;-)

jay said...

So why aren't you out there photographing bonking dragonflies?? They're such beautiful creatures! C'mon, get that macro lens out!

EG CameraGirl said...

Dragonflies are such gorgeous insects. Lucky you that they fly in your garden.

Anonymous said...

Maybe the dragonflies will eat the unwanted baby fruits?

Suburbia said...

It's bonking Damselflies here! Pretty but all over the place. Do you have a pond? Ours is only small, it's a bit like an orgy in there!!

How fantastic to have peaches growing in your garden. Funny that you can't decide which to euthanase!

Liz Hinds said...

THat's an idea, cherrypie!

I don't have a macro lens, jay. I did take some photos but they were so blurry it was hard to make them out!

AS long as they don't flitter too near me, EG!

They'll probably take a bite out of each one, mutley!

THese could be damselflies, suburbia. WE looked them up and weren't sure what the difference was. Yes, we have a little pond too.

Rose said...

I love dragonflies! Of course, they've never flown into my sandwich before. I noticed you haven't posted for a couple days, Liz; I hope that's because you're entertaining rich sister-in-law and not because you're sick. I do hope you're feeling better; summer colds and viruses are the worst!

And I think you ought to market that T-shirt! I would definitely buy one the next time I become a grandmother--though that may be a long, long time away:)