Tuesday, February 24, 2009

What a wonderful walk!


Usually when I spot a kingfisher in the woods it darts down the river and into the bank so fast all I see is a blur of blue; today a kingfisher was nice to me!
It kept flying down the river just ahead of us and landing on one branch after another, allowing me to sneak up and take photos. Admittedly I did think I might have to show you photos of empty branches and say, 'That was where the kingfisher was, honest,' but these two came out okay.
Kingfishers just have such an amazing colour, almost fluorescent blue. I was so delighted. And it wasn't just seeing the kingfisher that made the walk wonderful.
I was contemplating the events of the last few days. If I'm honest the hoohaa over the pope's thong upset me more than I'd like to let on, and I have so many arguments going on in my head that it's abuzz with fors and againsts.
As I mentioned, it was a great pick-up when Sandra contacted me and asked if she could use one of my stories on her blog. But it doesn't take long for my head to start saying, 'Yes, well, it was just coincidence; it doesn't mean you're not rubbish.' The good thing is that God knows me through and through so it's not one reassurance I get but three. Sean asked me to take my Corinthians writing to Zac's to read and Alun asked me to read one of my monologues in next Sunday's meeting.
But, you know, even then, if I let it, my head will take me down the 'you don't really believe them, do you? that you're any good?' path.
But today in the woods I imagined what God might say to me. I'm never confident (or arrogant) enough to say without doubt, 'God told me this,' but I do think this is what he might be saying to me.
'For goodness sake! What do I have to do to convince you, you stupid girl?! Yes, you're stupid, and silly. You're selfish and funny and lovely and unique. You're the child I made! You're the child I love! Now, for pity's sake, please get on and be what I created you to be. Do the work I created you to do. Nobody else can do it!'
Then I imagine he sits back and wipes his brow, shaking his head, saying to Jesus, 'I hope she gets it this time.'
P.S. I think I might set up a Facebook group called 'For anyone who's ever thought they're useless'.


15 comments:

James Higham said...

Nice indeed. Poignant.

jams o donnell said...

Lucky you. I don't think I've ever seen a kingfisher in the feather. As for the group... I think I'd join!

Katney said...

Kingfishers here don't have red breasts--they leave that tot he robins.

And BTW, God doesn't make trash.

Rose said...

Great photos, Liz! I have been trying to get some decent bird photos for months, but they are so hard to photograph unless you have a decent zoom lens, which I don't. These of the kingfisher are excellent!

Listen to God--he's telling you the truth.

Anonymous said...

LOL! I think everyone feels like that at times, unless they're extremely arrogant.

Lovely kingfisher! There was one living along the dyke near here a few winters ago, but though I saw him several times, I never managed to get a picture. Well done! :)

Annie Forrester Barker said...

Lovely picture. I agree with the rest of the group about listening to God. I often feel the same way but your blog actually cheers me up more than you can imagine

Anonymous said...

Shame the Autofocus chose the branch instead of the bird.

Back when we had analog cameras with only 3 controls, we could have chosen to stop down the aperture for a good depth of focus at the cost of upping the exposure time. Nowadays there's all this "I know better" electronics in between :-(

Anonymous said...

If you do start a facebook then let me know ;0)

A. xx

Liz Hinds said...

THank you, james.

It was a fantastic experience, jams.

I didn't realise they had red breasts either, katney.

I only have a basic point and click camera, rose. I was just fortunate that the kingfisher decided to pose!

Thanks, jay.

THank you so much, Annie!

If I'd had to focus the camera as well as find the bird in the bushes, stu, I wouldn't have got a glimmer!

I'm off to investigate how to do it now, amanda!

Furtheron said...

I think that might be a BIG facebook group

We used to get Kingfishers around the ditches at work but as the site got bigger and bigger and noisier etc. I can't have seen one in probably 8 years or more now.

Liz Hinds said...

I think it could be THE biggest, furtheron! I've set it up but i don't know what to do now. I'll go and check.

Anonymous said...

I'm so useless that I missed out 'group' in my comment !!!


A. xx

Dragonstar said...

I'm so jealous! I did see a kingfisher once - at least, I think I did. I was in a train passing a river, and I saw a flash of electric blue dart along the water. And here you are with gorgeous photos...

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

What a beautiful kingfisher. I like your philosophy here.

Gledwood said...

what a beautiful birdie!

tis like a feathery equivalent of those neon blue dragonflies that also ping across our waters...