Friday, February 27, 2009

Fit for the game

Goodness knows where the rest were but there were only two of us in circuit training last night: John, who's 6'2" of solid muscle and me who's 5'4" of floppy flab. 'It's not a competition, Liz; you don't have to keep up,' Jules, our almost personal trainer said. Yeah, right. After about 20 minutes, death would have been a welcome visitor!

Still on a sporting theme, it's a big game for Wales tonight. The first time ever (I think) that a Six Nations game has been played on a Friday evening. Wales, having won their first 2 games, take on France In Paris.

{Six Nations - a rugby tournament played in the Spring between, Wales, England, Scotland, Ireland, France and Italy. If one team beats all the others it's called the Grand Slam.}

Back in the seventies Wales had a great team. I remember those days fondly. The following few decades were miserable for Welsh rugby, and as rugby is the national sport of Wales, it was a hard time. But in one way it was an easy time.

Because each game was approached with very little chance of winning, we didn't get too disappointed. True, there was a grey cloud that hung permanently over the principality but this Wales: it rains.

But last year Wales did the Grand Slam. For the second time in three years. Suddenly we have a team that is being acclaimed as probably the best in the northern hemisphere. And the pressure ...

I don't know about the players but for the fans it's immense. Alun has been stressed about this game since the beginning of the week. I didn't really enjoy beating the English because it was too stressful. Jules sweats - literally.

So think of me this evening as you sit back, relax and enjoy that end-of-the-week feeling. I'll be on the edge of my seat, my stomach knotted, holding my breath for eighty minutes.
xx

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It might not be a competition, but it can certainly feel like one. Even here at home, when No. 1 son comes over to use our treadmill, I feel distinctly inadequate, as if I too should be pounding along like that. And he's nearly three decades younger, taller, stronger and fitter. And a bit of a show off. LOL!

MIL used to loooove rugby. She would have been planning a big TV night, too.

Gledwood said...

Circuit training was the only sort of corporal punishment allowed at my school once the cane went out the window...

Lindsay said...

Love all rugby - win or lose. It is my birthday but not going out due to match - just baked beans on toast!

Suburbia said...

Gosh Liz, you must have a great pair of lungs to hold your breath for 80 mins, have you rung 'Record Breakers'?

Furtheron said...

Being English life is easy these days. Anything better than the wooden spoon in the championship and not suffering total humilation like we did in the Autumn internations is a bonus frankly. However it has made me realise that given we have only slipped to this position in the last 5 years we have probably another 15 to go before we get out of it if the Welsh cycle is any reasonable predictor. Hmm therefore have I seen the last English grand slam of my life? Quite possibly.