Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Australian bushfires

On the wall in Zac's is a poster, a collage of faces, celebrating the 25th anniversary of God's Squad.

God's Squad, Christian motor-bikers' club, was started in Australia by John Smith, and it's run on the same lines as other secular - and outlaw - biking clubs, where you have to earn your colours (the right to wear the badges).

Last night Sean pointed out two faces amongst the many in the collage. Buffalo, who's lost his home in the bushfires, and Brouss, who's lost his two daughters.

I can't begin to imagine what that's like. I don't want to try.

I've only been vaguely aware of the fires - I watch very little television and hadn't seen images - but seeing someone with whom I have a link, even if it is in the most roundabout way - makes them become all too real.

God, be with Brouss and his family. Be with Buffalo and all the others who've lost family, friends or homes. And let the rains come, lord.
xx

1 comment:

Devonshire Dumpling said...

My thoughts are so with these people and the tragic mounting death toll.