Sunday, January 11, 2009

It seemed like a good idea ...

when I booked the tickets to see the Ospreys play Munster at the Liberty Stadium last Friday night. After all, Doug Howlett, ex-All Black and generally gorgeous man, plays for Munster. But that was before I knew what a rubbish game it was going to be. I don't think even seeing Dougie in the flesh made up for the game, which was won, just, by Munster, although neither side really deserved to win.

And somehow I'd managed to get us tickets in amongst a small but very vociferous group of Munster fans. That was okay: there weren't many of them and they needed to make a lot of noise. No, what really upset me was the Ospreys 'supporter' sitting behind me who kept up a continual commentary using the whole of his vocabulary of five words, three of which were expletives while the other two were 'English' and 'referee'.

He wasn't being aggressive or nasty but was out for a night on the town that had already started. I wish I'd been brave enough to turn around and say, in most regal voice, 'Excuse me, we don't say things like that in rugby!' Not amongst the spectators anyway.
xx

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

We watched that match on TV and totally agree with you - rubbish! If we were sufficiently near enough to Bath or Gloucester I think we would definitely be watching matches "in the flesh", however both venues are just too far away.