Thursday, January 15, 2009

George's progress

We're emerged from the Slough of Despond although we still have our paws in the City of Destruction.

Our doggy therapist, Clare, and many of you, recommended a Kong (pictured left). It's a dog toy with a useful purpose.

One of George's problems is that he gets bored. His ancestors and even his parents were working dogs and because he doesn't have that stimulus he needs other distractions. The Kong helps provide this by exercising his brain. The idea is to stuff treats into it and he has to work out how to get them out.

Yesterday I put a snack bone at the bottom and wedged it in with some bread. I did another layer the same and gave it to George who disappeared into the garden to enjoy his treat.

A little while later he came back in. He dropped the Kong at my feet and woofed at me. I picked it up and peered inside. He'd managed to get the first layer out but was stuck on the next piece of bread. I gave it back to him. 'You've got to work out how to get it.'
He tossed it around a bit and then dropped it on my foot again. 'Woof. woof, I can't do it! Don't be mean! Help me! Pleaaase.'
'No, you've got to do it yourself.'
This happened a few more times before he picked it up and went to the kitchen. I could feel the sense of injustice rising from his very soul.


P.S. He managed in the end.
xx

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm off to buy a Kong for Jake - been meaning to get one since he arrived here. I'm now trying to pluck up the courage to venture out into the rain with him. I'm dreading it!

Anna said...

are you sure he wasn't trying to get you to join in and play fetch? dropping on foot is a good way for them to initiate play. ?

Lindsay said...

I do hope the Kong is a success as it was for Rescue Dog. I have kept two Kongs just in case Husband ever relents for us to have another dog!

Dragonstar said...

Sounds a great idea. He'll be heading for Mensa membership soon!

Anonymous said...

I must admit, I wondered what on earth I'd stumbled across when I saw that pic on the blog. Let's just say I thought it was some sort of toy, along with some weird roleplay names in the text!

Anyway, thankfully a few lines in I realised (I know, it must be me) it was about your beloved pooch.

Here's the dilemma, my daughter absolutely loves dogs and wants one but we already have a cat. So, are there any particular breeds that are more friendly (I'm not talking expensive pedigree here) that might make a good choice? Or is it a case of wait until the cat dies or get a very tiny dog so that the cat won't be bullied?

Or am I barking totally up the wrong tree (sorry).

Anonymous said...

@nag Champa,
Bulldogs will coexist with cats if brought up together.

@Liz,
Tremendous pun 'in the end' ;-)

jams o donnell said...

Glad that George got there in the end. I wonder if my friend Redwine in Romania could do with one for her Labrador Zazie.

CherryPie said...

I bet he felt pleased with himself in the end ;-)

Puss-in-Boots said...

Some dogs are too smart for their own good. George knew that you'd help him out...as you use to, maybe? But he also realised that when you wouldn't help him, he had to do it himself. Great progress, George...woof!

Anonymous said...

I have often wondered what a 'kong' was...

Furtheron said...

Go George!

Rose said...

I knew George would figure this out in the end:) I do feel sorry for George, though; he must wonder why the rules have suddenly changed. I hope you have explained to him that it's all for his own good.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Clever George!

Anonymous said...

George is one very smart cookie! LOL!

I'm glad you let him work it out by himself!

I'm thinking of getting my thirteen year old greyhound a treat ball. Not that he needs entertaining, but he's a hog. It would give us some peace in the evenings if his biscuits lasted a little longer. ;)

James Higham said...

George is certainly a character.

Berni said...

Sounds like a great toy and should work for just about any dog, hopefully to keep them out of mischief

Barbara said...

Well done to George, my last dog never did work out how to get the treat out!

Anonymous said...

@Eunoia,

Thanks for the advice, but I was thinking of a smaller breed. Like a Jack Russell (small - but rather fierce, so not a Jack Russell).

Any ideas?