Thursday, November 27, 2008

Postie to the rescue!

I've been getting a bit blasé about George.

He hasn't escaped for ages and I was beginning to think that perhaps his operation was finally taking effect and he'd lost the urge. Then I spotted him on several occasions wandering round all his old escape routes and testing them. He still didn't escape though so I thought we'd finally beaten him.

So, today, I'm working on the computer and he's in the garden. I can see him trying and failing to get out so I get stuck into discovering how champagne is made. A little bit later I become aware that I've not seen for a while. I'm usually vaguely conscious of him from the corner of my eye. I go to the door and call him. No response.

I put on shoes and wander round the garden: no George.

I collect his lead and some luring treats and I'm just going out through the gate when the post van pulls up. The postie leans over, opens the door, and says, 'Get in! I've got him cornered!'

He'd spotted George wandering round the back street and shut him in a garden. The old lady whose garden it was was a little concerned but Postie assured her, 'He'll only lick you to bits.'

I think George will have to get an extra special present for Postie this year!

14 comments:

James Higham said...

What sort of presents does George give?

Dragonstar said...

Now that's the perfect Postie to have!

CherryPie said...

It seems you have a very friendly postie :-)

Suburbia said...

How womderful that your postman did that for you. A bit beyond the call of duty!

Naughty George!

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Eeeeeek we used to have a dog that could get out of anywhere - look after your postman he's a real treasure.

Found your blog via another whilst on a hunt for Hunt's Butter Softener - made as you correctly said by John Hunt & Co.

So any idea where I can get one.

Apologies for the odd question on your blog.

xWWx

Unknown said...

It's sure good to have folks help when trying to capture George!

Gledwood said...

Operation? ~Shmoperation! You mean Mutilation..????
O dear still on the run.
At last he's collar grabbable.
Itchy is thumb length and exceedingly pingy. You cannot get a hold of her without killing her. Which makes yesterday's capture a miracle!!!

Gledwood said...

O & 2 explain: mutilation> it's a boy thing

Gledwood said...

What will George buy postie? Extra special wrapping papers? Gardening gloves & scissors for cutting back overgrown gdns...???

;->...

Morning Glories in Round Rock said...

Good ole George--he's still got it! Wonderful Postie--you will have to give something special for Christmas.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I was wondering what James was wondering!

Rose said...

Aw, how sweet that even the Postman looks out for George. But I'm still curious why you were thinking of making champagne...

Mauigirl said...

I guess you can never get complacent about these things! We thought we'd foiled Diva's ability to get under our fence into the neighbor's yard (which is also fenced,luckily). She hadn't done it in ages, ever since we put little metal spikes down from the bottom of the fence into the ground. But one night last week I let her out at night and she didn't come back and sure enough she was in the neighbor's yard. She had dug under the fence again!

You gotta watch 'em every minute!

Anonymous said...

we used to have what they called a free range dog who used to visit the neighbours everyday. Our postie was worried that she was cold so bought her one of those coat things. Only problem was Sally hated it as she couldn't get out of the yard so we had to leave it off her!