Monday, November 03, 2008

Monochrome Monday


I think my father is in this photo. I'm not sure because my mother only ever showed me one photo of him and that was about forty years ago. I know it was a group photo and this one is the only likely candidate from my hoard of old photos.
I like to imagine he is the best-looking man in the gathering but I can't even be certain which one is him.
Both my mother and father are dead. My mother died in 1972 and my father in about 2000 I think. It was only through Husband's late-discovered interest in genealogy that we found out much about him.
That's not strictly true. I found out where he lived from the telephone directory and when I was doing my MA in Carmarthen I drove past his home every week. I always peered at it as I drove past - just in case he'd walk out the door. As it turns out he would have been dying or dead by then.
To take part in Monochrome Monday, visit aileni.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Liz - what a melancholy story. The way you have presented it seems to add to the 'lost life' feel it gives me.

Anonymous said...

((Liz)) I agree with aileni... the photograph, background and words are very emotive.

Morning Glories in Round Rock said...

A very sad post, Liz. What year do you think that photo was taken?

Jane Hards Photography said...

Very poignant narrative to accompany the very evocative image.

Katney said...

So sorry that you missed out on a presence of you father as Dad.

Mean Mom said...

I love sepia photos and this is a very touching post. I'm sorry that you never knew your father.

Managing to smile through my tears, can I just ask, looking at the photos on your last post, does your daughter find it strange that you take a photo of your food, before eating it??

Leslie: said...

Such a contrast between your words and the giant grins of everyone in the photo. I feel your pain.

Carver said...

Liz I like the idea of imagining that your father is the best looking man in the picture. I think he was bound to be. Thank you for sharing this with us. I'm sorry that you never got to see him.

Daryl said...

Oh Liz, that's sort of sad for him not to have known you ..

Its a good example of sepia shots so popular 'then'

:-Daryl

Dragonstar said...

How sad Liz, and the photo looks a bit forlorn presented like that.
It's a shame you never knew your father. Families can be difficult at times.

Liz Hinds said...

Thanks all. it wasn't meant to be a sad post, just a factual one. I imagine the photo was taken in the late forties or very early fifties, morning glories.