Friday, July 18, 2008

Mamma Mia!

I've never been in the cinema before when the audience has clapped at the end! And shouted for more!

But it happened tonight at the end of Mamma Mia.

I suppose I'd been vaguely aware that there was a film out called Mamma Mia but I didn't know anything about it and had no particular desire to see it. But I got home form work today and discovered that Husband was whisking me off to the cinema (after buying me fish and chips) as a surprise. He wouldn't tell me what we were going to see but he'd been reading reviews and he thought I'd like it. Husband is a genius!

I loved it!!! It's brilliant! I had a big grin on my face the entire time. It's a wonderful happy, funny film, set on a beautiful Greek island, and it's just terrific. I'd never make a film critic because I can't tell you anything technical; just go and see it!!

I'm going to live my life as a musical from now on.

10 comments:

mrsnesbitt said...

Wahayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Looking forward to ABC Wednesday sung as a musical! LOL!
A is for Abba!


Great!

CherryPie said...

That's a very girlie girl post ;-)

Glad you enjoyed the film :-)

Puss-in-Boots said...

Yes...I'm going with Jane to see that...can't wait. It's had great reviews here and I just love ABBA anyway.

Maggie May said...

I enjoyed the stage production so much. I must get to see the film. Glad you enjoyed your surprise!

Lindsay said...

Am very envious. Have seen stage production in London and loved it. We all sung,clapped etc and yelled for more - all except - Husband. He is a classical music fan only. I think he was the only one in the audience who did not know one song or the words! Wonky Knees of mine do not bend enough to sit in cinema seats - will have to wait to see in at 'Rural Cinema' when it comes round our way.

One thing though - did you find Merryl Streep, Piers Brosnan etc could sing well enough? After stage production where obviously the actors are professional singers mainly, am wondering whether in the film version it matters as to whether they can sing?

James Higham said...

I can't go and see it, Liz. Tell us what it is about.

Dragonstar said...

Now you have to sing at George, not shout at him!

That was a lovely, thoughtful thing for your husband to do.

cheshire wife said...

Looking forward to seeing Mamma Mia sometime but for now will have to make do with an ABBA CD and our gloomy weather or maybe drop a few hints to husband who I met 20 years ago on the island next to Skopelos, where Mamma Mia was filmed.

Liz Hinds said...

i'm going to have to think about that one, denise. I suppose I could dress up as the dark one and have my photo taken!

Oh, I did, cherrypie.

Go soon, puss!

It was a lovely surprise and competely unexpected, maggie - but I suppose surprises are!

lindsay, husband enjoyed it very much too. Julie Walters is a scream. We got there quite late and had to sit in the second row. behind me was a gap for a wheelchair - or someone who needed to stretch out their legs? It was in the Odeon.

It's about a girl, her mother and three possible fathers, james.

dragonstar, I've already sung 'Good morning, good morning' to him today!

welcome, cheshire wife. You have the ideal romantic reason to go and see it!!

Joy Des Jardins said...

I'm actually anxious to see this movie...but, I'll probably wait until I put it in my Netflix queue. I love Meryl Streep. I know I'll love it.