Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Monsters and mummies

We'd just started on our walk today when George cocked his leg for only the third time. I was right behind him and I said, 'Oh, well done, George!' I must have said it quite loudly because it startled him and he lost his balance.

I'd been thinking that my weeks of leading by example and lifting my leg to the side while simultaneously saying, 'Cock your leg, George,' each time he coopied down to pee must have been having some effect but now I fear my clumsy enthusiasm may have put his progress back a few weeks.

Later on the walk he spotted the poo monster ... did I tell you about the poo monster? I don't think I did.

Last weekend in the woods there was a huge pile of horse poo on the middle of the path. It happened to be covered in a swarm of flies that took off as one when George went scurrying up to it. You have never seen a puppy move so fast! He stopped about five yards away, turned and began to bark ferociously. It took us another five minutes to persuade him to walk past and then it was on a circuitous route.

Today as we approached the remains of the pile, George waited for me to catch up so he could get me between him and the nasty poo monster that attacks innocent puppies. My little hero.

11 comments:

Reader Wil said...

George must be adorable. You describe him so well that I can see and hear him barking to horse poo!

Lindsay said...

Love George's antics. I have just started a blog after being highly amused by everyone else's. Today on my blog you might like the pictures of Rescue Dog and Bunny.

Annie Wan said...

is that why my dog doesn't cock his leg? i didnt lead by example ... is there any hope? he's now 3. i've had him since he was 10 weeks old. i thought he was just sensible to do it the least precarious way.

jams o donnell said...

Haha Liz! He's such a sweetie. I hope you have his first leg cocking on video!

Louis la Vache said...

"Louis" thanks you for visiting San Francisco Bay Daily Photo. Regarding the number of submarines lost, the U.S. Navy Submarine Service lost 24% of its officers and ranks, more than any other portion of the U.S. armed services. Only the Nazis lost more submarines and more men.

Dragonstar said...

Oh, lovely! My imagination's working overtime, thinking of you and George and your leg-cocking antics!

Long may George continue to avoid the poo-monster. Mine used to love rolling in and eating horse-poo - and then trying to rub all over me! Dogs are so sweet and sharing!

Anonymous said...

Well done George!

I wish I had learned to avoid bullshit that early in life ;-)

Leslie: said...

George and his adventures are the stuff of children's books.

Reader Wil said...

Thanks for the visit. I read two of your storien on your other blog and I am impressed! Very good and very true!

Liz Hinds said...

Reader wil, thank you!

Welcome, lindsay!

mei del, no hope I'm afraid!

Jams, i don't! I'll have to have the camera permanently at the ready when we go out.

dragonstar & stu, if only it had taught George to give up on horse poo but i'm afraid it hasn't.

leslie, but no-one would believe it!

Suburbia said...

That incident seems very fortunate because he may have liked to roll in it or eat it had he not been scared!

I can't believe he toppled over, cruel mummy!